1982 Tartan 33R Prop Shaft Coupling

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I believe someone posted recently a similar image. The coupler is one made in Florida (I think). The large nuts secure a rubber bushing that somehow buffers the shaft as it starts/stops rotating.

If that is the case, it has a smallish following, as its function has limited practicality on small diesel engines in sailboats.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Just for a blind shot in the dark, reach out to McMaster Carr to see if they have a source for this coupling. Send along your photo from post #1. If you get a brand name, you have a remote chance of getting some info on it due to its age.

If not, hope someone sees this who has some experience.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Ralph Johnstone do you remember that thread in the last coupe of weeks. Fellow, I think , was in Florida. He had a coupling he was trying to identify. It was unusual. He was asking if any one know of the coupler. Gave a name. Turned out to be a coupler that reduced the noise and vibration of the shaft to transmission. I looked up the name and it led to a website that had pictures of their coupler. It looked very much like this one. I can not find the thread. Thought you might remember.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
@Ralph Johnstone do you remember that thread in the last coupe of weeks.
What made it difficult to locate is that there were two different posts labelled "Engine Alignment" that came up within several days of each other :

Engine Alignment

The name Federal Marine came up during the discussion. Don't ask me why I searched this out when Mr. "D" had already beat me to the brand name of the coupling. I guess I like a challenge.

Last edited: