1982 Tartan 33R Diesel Filter

Jul 3, 2021
Tartan 33R Lake Michigan
My recently acquired Universal 5424 powered Tartan 33R has a primary Racor filter that someone that I reached out to with a picture said may be a 200FG. There is also a BF940 spin-on filter on the engine. The boat came with a survey from 4 years ago, where the surveyor mentioned the lack of flame arrestor on the filter bowl (or something like that, I don't have the document in front of me). Should I just replace the entire filter assembly in order to become compliant?
IMG_2139.JPG
IMG_2147.JPG

Jul 3, 2021
Tartan 33R Lake Michigan
A metal bowl is required for USCG inspected commercial vessels. There is no such requirement for recreational vessels.
Thanks, I guess I'll put that down to the bottom of my priority list. The overall tone of the survey was quite nit-picky for what I consider to be an excellent boat in very good condition. I suppose that's to be expected when he's getting paid by a buyer.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The overall tone of the survey was quite nit-picky for what I consider to be an excellent boat in very good condition.
My opinion.
If I see a nit-picky survey about a boat, I suspect that the condition of the boat is such that to have the client (sometimes the owner) feel good about paying for the survey, some things are found. It is all the better for the owner to have them pointed out so that they can be fixed and show the buyer the excellent condition of the boat.

It also raises flags to verify that those systems that are not mentioned are in good working order.

Fortunate for you that you found a boat you like.:biggrin:

I would only consider changing (upgrading) the filter if maintaining the current setup was challenging. If it is difficult to service, then you are less likely to service it.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
I upgraded my fuel filter to a Racor 500 because it is one of the most effortless filter changes without making a mess.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Surveyors write reports to protect themselves. What are they to say? This isn't right but it should be OK. The survey is 4 years old. Is the surveyor to be held to a report that defined deficiencies that were never addressed? I wouldn't sign on for that as a surveyor at any price!
The Tartan 33 (R- I'm not sure about the R - Racing? Is it the 7/8 Fractional rig/). Is a good boat. I've sailed on one for years as crew and saw some pretty gnarly weather while doing so. The S&S hull handled steep short seas with aplomb.

• Helpful

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
A quick search tells me the engine is a diesel so I am confused about a flame arrestor which I associate with a carboreted engine. Perhaps someone can clue me in why a diesel would need a flame arrestor.

Jul 3, 2021
Tartan 33R Lake Michigan
A quick search tells me the engine is a diesel so I am confused about a flame arrestor which I associate with a carboreted engine. Perhaps someone can clue me in why a diesel would need a flame arrestor.
Flame arrestor is probably the wrong term. I believe the issue is with the clear plastic bowl meeting some flame resistance specification. The compliant Racor 110A has a metal bowl and the Racor 500MA has a metal heat shield under the clear plastic bowl.

• Helpful

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
Pictures might help.
Here are Racor 500 series filters.
The Racor500FG
1726761712936.png

and the Racor500MA
1726761826312.png
The M designates that it meets the CG design requirement to be installed in a boat's engine room.