1981 OMC Zephyr Saildrive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2010
S2 S2 7.3 Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
The '81 OMC Saildrive in my 'new' (acquired in June 2010) '81 7.3 runs like a charm. 2011 was the first season in the water for boat and motor and I was very pleased with the performance of both. However, I noticed the lower drive unit is slightly angled off to starboard and does not line up directly 'in line' with the keel and rudder. After reviewing OMC's mounting and installation instructions for the Saildrive, I don't see any obvious adjustment to be made since the holes on the mounting flange of the motor line up with the holes on the mounting flange that is glassed in to the hull to mount the motor. I guess that means also that the whole motor is slighly askew. Was this an error in initial installation or am I missing something obvious and the problem might be easily fixed?

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
I used to install these motors in boats and it appears that who ever fiberglassed in the mounting piece did not get the angle straight. Unless you wish to pull the motor, grind out the mount and realign it and then fiberglass it up again and then put the motor back in place, I am afraid you have to live with it the way it is. It probably is not affecting the performance of your vessel if the angle is off a little - at least I wouldn't think it would. And, the carp won't mind.

Mar 1, 2010
S2 S2 7.3 Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
OMC Saildrive askew

Thanks Bill! Very useful information. I have no problem living with the install! No need to go to great lenghts to correct the 'problem' and it's only cosmetic - so far no one else has noticed when she's out of the water and the motor runs fine and the ship steers well! I'm hoping there's many years of life left in the Zephyr - it seems the motor has been well maintained and I hope to continue that trend. Thanks again.

Scup

May 18, 2004
S2 27 Southern Lake Michigan
My old one, too

Tom,

The 7.3 that I owned (formerly) had the OMC Zephyr saildrive angled to starboard as well, maybe 8-10 degrees, as did the other 7.3 at my marina. My opinion? I suspect they were all installed that way on the 7.3. My boat pretty much had neutral helm under power with the tiller dead amidships, as a result. The OMC has significant prop walk, and the angled lower unit compensated for it. Prop walk was particularly bad in reverse. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.