1981 Hunter 30 Packing Nut

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 30 Cundy's Harbor
Hello - Has anyone had to change the packing on a 1981 Hunter 30? This boat is new to me last year. When commissioning the boat the only thing I was not able to do was change the packing. I wanted to do this since I had no history of it ever having been maintained. When I went to go change the packing I found that the only way to the nut was to squeeze my body over the top of then engine in a very confined uncomforable position where I could not get any leverage. That is bananas! There didn't seem to be any other access to the nut without cutting into things. In the end I risked it and didn't change the packing. It was fine for the year but I want to make another go at it this year. Anyone have experience with this job on this boat? Would appreciate some advice.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Hi Sean. Just curious, you moved from a Catalina 30 to a Hunter 30? Why the switch?
Is this the nut on the shaft seal, AKA stuffing box? There must be a big difference between the '81 layout and my '91 I so I'm no help. 'm sure many people here have repacked the seal and can help though. Does it drip like it's supposed to now? can you upload a picture?

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Assuming there were no big design changes in this area between the ‘81 and ‘82 H30’s....... There is no other way to reach the stuffing box in my ‘82 H30 but to lay over the engine. It’s an awkward position in a tight space. Remove the lift out companionway storage bin above the engine for more vertical clearance and light, drape a couple old towels over the engine for padding, and use the longest handle wrenches that will fit in the space. I sometimes put an old cushion on the floor for my knees too.

Last edited:
May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I have an older model of the same boat/hull. In the 78/79 years, they had an access hatch
in the quarter berth bulkhead. This gave access to not only the rear of the engine and stuffing box,
but also the batteries. The batteries on my version are located behind the engine and forward of the fuel tank. Which raises a question:
Where are the batteries on your 81????

Oct 6, 2007
The batteries in my ‘82 H30 are under the quarter berth and the water heater is below the cockpit between the fuel tank and engine. Not sure about the ‘81.

Oct 6, 2007
Good argument for a dripless seal. Minimum maintenance!
Agreed, but I looked at that option a few years ago and concluded the dripless type would’t fit. Too tight to the hull for the larger diameter and too close to the transmission for the longer length. I would be happy to be proven wrong though. Anyone know of a super compact dripless seal?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The exposed shaft on my Hunter is minimal too, but the rubber Lasdrop sleeve can be cut shorter to fit. I have before and after pics I can post tonight.