1980 S2 8.0B new owner, please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

timtim

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 28.5 Southport, NC
New to Sailboats, just purchased S2. saildrive needs repair or suggestions on doing away with it. Saildrive impeller failed and needs replaced, but seller said he did not over heat motor. very nice sailboat, just needs a little love and deep pockets. have out board, but it has not run in a year.
going to have S2 put in boat yard to work on it. what suggestions can you give me to keep my costs down?
:dance:first day
:eek: hope I dont have any days like this
thanks Tim

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
New to Sailboats, just purchased S2. saildrive needs repair or suggestions on doing away with it. Saildrive impeller failed and needs replaced, but seller said he did not over heat motor. very nice sailboat, just needs a little love and deep pockets. have out board, but it has not run in a year.
going to have S2 put in boat yard to work on it. what suggestions can you give me to keep my costs down?
thanks Tim
The saildrives were not used in large numbers. Parts are now often difficult and or expensive to get-- but you might get lucky. Ive chosen to remove mine (S28) , lamanate the hole, and go w/ an outboard.

Nov 8, 2004
Cape Dory 30 Ketch Kemah, Texas
S2 Reply Saildrive

thanks Tim
Tim,
First with a boat you just have to plan your plan of attack. When you rush into things they seem to get worse before getting better. There are all kinds of manuals online that will help you. I have an 8.5 S2 and I am restoring it.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Be realistic

Many buy a 20-30 foot boat that is a wreck and get lost in trying to restore it to as new condition. That is fine if working on the boat is as fun as sailing it, but odds are that it just isn't worth trying to bring a project boat back to new condition. Often such boats are bought without a survey and have prohibitively expensive flaws, such as extensively wet deck core.

I felt the same way about my first boat, a 1981 Lancer 25 I bought for $1000 of ebay. It had been donated to a local sailing club and sat neglected for a few years. I just didn't have time to fix everything. It was just a fact of my life. I did set myself the goal that if I could figure out/fix her enough to sail her for a few years that I could then justify investing in a better boat. Nobody was having more fun per dollar than me sailing a boat that size, but ultimately I moved up to my 9.2A, leaving my project boat a going concern, but not much improved cosmetically. She has since helped two others get out onto the water, which is an excellent purpose in life.

Changing an impeller shouldn't be a big deal and they are likely still readily available, as the saildrive shares many components/design with an outboard.

Bret has some saildrive docs on his site you should download including manuals and parts catalogs.

http://impliedconsent.us/impliedconsent/Documents.html

You might try Crowley for parts.

http://www.crowleymarine.com/omc_sail_drive_parts.cfm

Inspect, but don't mess with the rubber seal at the hull/leg. They aren't available that I have heard.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Re: Be realistic

One more thing. It is easy (for me and no doubt others) to be undisciplined and end up with a boat full of parts for unfinished projects. Stay focused. Make a list of what you will do, especially if you live as far from your boat as I do, and be sure to bring everything you may need. When shopping, avoid buying parts for future projects unless it is a fantastic deal or a necessity. I find that necessary projects get done, but improvements tend to go by the wayside when the wind is blowing...because I'd rather be sailing that improving, but if I can't sail because it is broken then I will fix it.

timtim

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 28.5 Southport, NC
Thank you for all the feed back. This is my first sailboat. Everyone tells me the S2 is a great vessel. Looks like the outboard would be the best way to go if the sail drive has issues. I'll post pics of her soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.