1980 Catalina 25 w/Centerboard questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
I am hoping this will be the place to get some information on a 25 with a centerboard I am going to be looking at.

• How well do they sail?
  • How tender are they?
  • Reef at what wind speed?
  • Max winds and seas?
  • All sailing skills being equal, would you sail one in the Apostle Islands? Not planing on making a run to Isle Royale, just in the islands and coastal areas of Superior. Paying attention to weather of course.
  • This one has a 9.9hp outboard. Good, bad, indifferent?
  • Any and all other words of wisdom in regards to this sailboat.....
Thanks in advance for any and all help. It is greatly appreciated.

CB

Apr 15, 2011
Hunter 34 Lake Ouachita
I have a 25 with a swing keel, it sails very easy, I seldom reef, usually 20+ knots is a good time to consider it on the main. The 9.9 is more than sufficient (mine is an 8 horse). As far as sailing lake islands, it is great for that. Your limiting/restricting factor is your motor, as that is what gets you home or on land when in trouble, and any outboard is much slower than a sailboat with an inboard, but I manage fine. Don't expect to win any races however. My limiting factor is the tiller, as you are pretty much required to constantly steer, and after 4 hours or so you will want a break.

Nov 7, 2006
Hunter 30 Pasadena, MD
I am hoping this will be the place to get some information on a 25 with a centerboard I am going to be looking at.

• How well do they sail?
  • How tender are they?
  • Reef at what wind speed?
  • Max winds and seas?
  • All sailing skills being equal, would you sail one in the Apostle Islands? Not planing on making a run to Isle Royale, just in the islands and coastal areas of Superior. Paying attention to weather of course.
  • This one has a 9.9hp outboard. Good, bad, indifferent?
  • Any and all other words of wisdom in regards to this sailboat.....
Thanks in advance for any and all help. It is greatly appreciated.

CB
You might want to bring this question up on the Catalina 25 250 Capri 25 National Association

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
I have a 25 with a swing keel, it sails very easy, I seldom reef, usually 20+ knots is a good time to consider it on the main. The 9.9 is more than sufficient (mine is an 8 horse). As far as sailing lake islands, it is great for that. Your limiting/restricting factor is your motor, as that is what gets you home or on land when in trouble, and any outboard is much slower than a sailboat with an inboard, but I manage fine. Don't expect to win any races however. My limiting factor is the tiller, as you are pretty much required to constantly steer, and after 4 hours or so you will want a break.
Thanks for the info Bubblehead. Real world info was exactly what I was looking for.

:+1:

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Just remember that when looking at a 1980 vintage C 25 that all the hardware is likely original & is now over 30 years old, & likely to be nearly worn out. I used to own an '85 C 25 & the turnbuckles , traveller & any original rope lines & halyards wil be very worn & will likely need to be replaced. The keel cable & winch were undersized & may need replacement. Original sails of that age are also near end of lifespan. They're good lil' boats but can be a real money pit to refit when wornout.

Status
Not open for further replies.