1980 CAtalina 25 Restoration update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
I just added 15 photos of recent work on "Chariots of Fire". They show keel removal, correct installation of upgraded hangers and keel centering shims (not visible), new bottom paint and the hull buffed and waxed. The classic Catalina keel klunk is now gone. I hated that unnerving sound.

There is a photo of an incomplete repair to the previously damaged forward sette as purchased in January of 2012. That will be my next task although I am not entirely sure how to proceed. Comments and suggestions from this august forum are welcome.

http://catalina25chariotsoffire.shutterfly.com/

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Nice repair job. I used to own an 85 C 25 & had to have the whole swing keel trunk reglassed & rebuilt due to previous cracks from hard grounding by a P.O. Its a well known defect in this design. If the keel cable snaps (& it eventually will from corrosion) then the end of the swing keel will smack down like a fulcrum on the end of a hammer & crack that keel trunk & bend the retaining pinion.
Also I like you drawer modification & table. Nice improvements.
You seem like the kind of sailor that I am. Once I've completed a project boat, I enjoy sailing for a while. But then my eye wanders to the next bigger boat down the line to restore. I don't think you've really earned sailing a boat until you've brought her back.

ps. Does that tall dodger frame fit under the boom? I see its raised a lot. I installed a bimini under my C 25, but it rubbed the boom a good bit. Enjoy your new boat.
Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.