1980 C&C 40-2 Access to space under helm

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I recently purchased a 1980 C&C 40 and I cannot access the space under the helm where the steering quadrant and other stuff are located. I am 160 lbs and I wear a medium t shirt and no way I can crawl in there. The access way from the starboard lazerette to the aft space is blocked by the fuel fill hose and the cockpit scupper hose that traverse the opening. This seems absurd to me. There is a below deck auto pilot and a rudder sensor back there so someone had to access it. Maybe a very handy six year old? I am curious if there are any other C&C owners out there that have come up with ingenious ways to create better access to this space.

May 16, 2015
C&C 37 28127 Port Madison, Washington
My '85 37 has the same issues and probably an even tighter cave below the pedestal. I'm probably the same size as you and had a reasonably nightmarish experience getting back there via starboard lazerette to install a heater exhaust duct and inspect/upgrade other things. I removed the scupper hoses to allow maneuverability then laid some carpet scraps down to keep from sliding and damaging things with my feet. Well positioned lighting makes it less horrible. Not sure about your 40, but there's an access hatch in the aft quarter berth bulkhead. I'll need to spend some quality time there soon replacing a fridge compressor :(

A hatch on the transom would be nice!

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024
C & C 1980 40 Mk2 French Creek
I have a 1980 40 as well that is new to me and have exactly the same issue. As well there is a starboard propane locker but where you would expect there to be one on the port side the lid of the locker is secured shut enclosing dead space?