1980 37c galley help

Jaxg

Jun 30, 2019
Hunter 37 Cherubini Jacksonville
what are some good options for refrigeration ? I’m thinking of gutting the galley and starting over, microwave, toaster oven, but what about refrigeration? I plan to live aboard in a marina with shore power and spend time in the Caribbean, but will likely never need to cook while underway. I’m about to purchase a Honda EU 2200 generator so I can have some AC at night at anchor when needed. I haven’t looked into the power requirements of any of these galley ideas so I might just be crazy thinking this will work I definitely do not want to go with a larger generator. Any suggestions or pics would be greatly appreciated.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
One caveat,,, A small generator, ie Honda or similar, may not run an A/C system properly in the long haul. Others will comment on the possibilities no doubt.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Well, at least you have defined your operating conditions - tied-up and plugged-in or at anchor with the generator running. Personally I hate generators and probably a % of the people in your anchorages will too. Solar and battery technologies are getting to the point where they can replace most of what a generator provides, but it will be more expensive that a Honda EU2200. José Guidera's S/V Bonheur website has some nice pictures of his renovation of a H37C galley,

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I’m about to purchase a Honda EU 2200 generator so I can have some AC at night at anchor when needed.
What use is the "some AC?" That's an entire new system to acquire, store, deploy; plus a dangerous fuel to carry and use - for what? It also will annoy anchorage neighbors. What are you imagining it will provide?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Oh, did you mean air conditioning or alternating current?

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
One possibility is to add a refrigerator unit to the existing ice box. On my 37C I was pleasantly surprised at how well insulated it is

We have replaced the built in stove with a 2 burner gimbaled unit and use the area under it for food storage. We also removed the drawers on the starboard side of the companionway steps and replaced them with 4 shelves with baskets with a door to hold the baskets in. Each basket holds as much as all the drawers together did

We have a small microwave installed in the locker on the starboard side

We have a barbecue out back and it is very versatile. You can do all sorts of cooking out there without smelling up the cabin or setting off the fire alarm

We also have for in marina use a toaster, and a instant pot which is very useful

Rebuilding the galley would be a prodigious undertaking. You can do a lot by optimizing what you already have

EAMc2

Oct 1, 2016
Hunter 37C Cherubini Palm Beach, FL
Jaxg,

We live aboard at anchor in Southeast Florida on our recently fully restored 1979 Hunter Cherubini 37C. With very little modification to the cabinet opening, the Dometic CRD 1050SS Refrigerator/Freezer (runs on AC or DC), fits perfectly underneath the galley sink.

We eliminated the drawers and put the door from the sink cabinet where the drawers were. Put in a removable shelf and a removable access point to the starboard side of the engine. :dancing:O

We replaced our Force 10 with a 2 burner butane Gas One stove. Plenty of storage below it for large items, and shelved storage behind it for items used every day. The stove top Omni Oven takes care of any "baking" needs.

The original cooler unit was removed by a previous owner, so we currently use that area for storage.

We gutted all of the AC wiring on her. We run totally off of solar & wind.

FredV

Oct 16, 2011
Hunter 37-cutter Philadelphia, PA
I put a dorm-size fridge under the nav table. A little bit of cutting and it fits perfectly!