1979 Hunter 27

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eric

I am thinking of purchasing a 25 year old...Hunter! I am wondering if owners have trouble with deck fittings and cracking or crazing. Basically, would you buy a 25 year old Hunter? What is the most liked feature and the least? Thank you

E

Ed Schenck

Owner reviews.

Go to "Boat Information" and select the '27(75-84)' model. Then select "Owner Reviews". There are more than 80 and 20 or more are for 1979 or older models. Also lots of information in the Forum Archives and on the Cherubini forum.

D

Dave

I did two summers ago

I took the plunge two summers ago, and have had a great time. For me it was a great first boat. However, things can go wrong with a 25 year old boat. Be prepared to do some repairs. This past year I replaced the fuel tank, port windows and the rudder along with other minor repairs. But, our last sail in early November was fantastic and I can't wait till spring...

H

Howard

H-27

I purchased my H-27 almost 10 years ago. Bullet proof, cheap to maintain fun to sail. There are hotter boats, more expensive boats and cheaper boats, but for downright usability and durability I don't think that anything beats the old Hunter 27s. Go for the deep keel if you have a choice I have the shallow draft and it doesn't point well but I also moor in a shallow harbor so it works for me. Other than the forward hatch and the plastic Grey Co. portlites not much goes to go bad. I don't have a holding tank or shower so that's even less to go wrong. I've re-done a lot of the interior but it was all cosmetic. Made me feel good . I have the Yanmar 8 which is built like a brick you know what. I've heard that the renault is not as good. The 8 is a little under powered, but that's why I have sails. Been thinking of replacing the Yanmar with a 12 or 16 HP but can't justify it when the old one lunger just keeps on working fine. I gan even start it with the crank if I run down the batteries. After 25 years you'll see some crazing and cracking of the gellcoat on the deck. I guess I could paint it but to tell you the truth it's not worth the trouble. It cleans up nice with a little bleach and a scrub brush once a year. I then put a little wax on smooth areas. (Cabin sides) never on the non-skid. I keep the hull waxed and it still shines up nice each year. I use cetol on the teak rails and what littleexterior trim there is. It makes a difference Did replace the plywood hatch boards with solid oak and painted a few of the cleats and such where the black finsh wore off. Just remember the more you paint the more you paing and I like to sail not paint. The hull us solid glass and I have no blisters so I think that the low tech approach works fine here. I think that the deck is solid in most places with plywood backer blocks where things are bolted on. Maybe its balsa cored in some areas but I don't think so. Maybe someone else has an idea. The boat is easy to sail, not too tippy and good for an overnight or two. I think that the prices are now in the 8-10k range for the H-27. I paid $9,000 10 years ago. SO if you see a boat in the range, especiallif its the deep keel with a Yanmar and newer sails, I'd say go for it, not too much investment for a lot of fun. I don't think you'll be disappointed E mail me if you want to know more. Howard Nelsonhow@netscape.com PS if you're Long Beach, CA it a long trip. If you're Long Beach, NY (on Long Island.. you're wecome to come see "My Pleasure".)

E

Eric

Thank you, Got a H27 for sale? lb, ca

Thanks to all who anwered my questions. One more thing it has wheel steering (put on in the last year) which I am not psyched about. Maybe I'll keep looking. Got a great H27 for sale?

H

Howard

More from Howard

I have a tiller, simple and easy.. also have the parts to install a wheel but don't know if I'll ever get to it. A wheel wouldn't disuade me.. There are so many Hunter 27s out ther you should have a big selection to pick from...Go for it.

C

Carter Leary

77 Hunter

Eric, I bought a Hunter 27 last May with all sails , loran ( outdated,I know ) VHF ,CB,all cusions ,Persevers, 15 hp mariner (water had gotten into the Diesel ) etc.etc,.for $1500.00. I have had the motor rebuilt and now have the boat here at home ,I had a number of blisters which I have reparied and painted the bottom with Durtec ,a two part sanding primer,before the anti-foul goes on next spring. I am replacing the grab rails as well as restoring the rest of the boat. I am covering the few stress cracks again with Durtec before repainting the decks,I have also removed all thru-hulls( except the main one)and re-glassed the openings.Bottom line, it is a good solid hull and great design,and I do enjoy working on her. Hope this helps ,if I can help you with info,just ask. Carter S/V IRISH FOX

M

Matthew Fleming

hunter 27

I purchased a 1977 HUNTER four years ago and she needed a lot of work. I am currently working on her over the winter and found her to be well worth the trouble. I sailed her from Annapolus Maryland to Connecticut four years back and offshore for the past three summers. She sails well in heavy seas as well as light winds. Most of the repairs are due to neglect of her owners. I found the mast area needs renforcing to take the load of the mast. Currently retrofitting wheel steering on her and rebuilding the Yanmar diesel SB8. I would suggest having it surveyed if you can. If you are handy and have some time and money the boat is a good crusing boat for a intermediate sailor. Matt Fleming

M

Marcus Hart

Mine is for sale

I have a '78 27 in excellent condition. New main. New batteries (3). New main cover. New Bimini top. One of the best equipped 27's out there. Pictured in photo forum, 'Family vessel on the hook'. If interested email me at jmarcush@yahoo.com Marcus

Status
Not open for further replies.