1979 H30 Skeg re-bedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike

I am looking to drop my skeg and re-bed it to include backing plates. Has anyone done this? Any tips on the removal? Any chance of an unwanted surprise with respect to the skeg bolts and their condition? Mike

E

Ed Schenck

Did that.

On my H37C. And no surprises. Needed someone to hold a big screwdriver(with visegrips) outside while I loosened the nuts inside. When rebedding made sure I got the sealant in the holes. I did not use a plate but doubled up the washers with some really large ones. Used new nuts, the locking type with the fiber inserts. Everything s/s of course.

R

Roland

Skeg Re-bed

Had a loose skeg last year on my '77 h30. Was letting lots of sea water in. The original galvanized lag bolts were practically corroded away. Had the boat hauled, dropped the skeg, cleaned everything, lathered the hull and skeg with 5200, put inserts into the skeg bolt holes to get a better thread grip, and replaced lags with S/S ones and large washers. Tighented everything up. No leaks - good as new. Roland S/V Fraulein II

R

Royce

Skeg

I removed my skeg to drop and reglass my rudder last haul out. It had been glassed over at the joint. I ground out the glass, removed the lag screws, and dropped the skeg. After reinstalling it I also reglassed over the joint. Good luck with your project. Royce

B

Blaise Pierson

H30 rudder

I built a new rudder for a friends H30 copying the design from my H37. The skeg was disgarded. The results are amazing. The boat goes where it is pointed with NO helm loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.