1979 electronics - help

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tom ashleman

My recently purchased 1979 25' sloop does not seem to have functioning depth finder or knot meter. The DF appears to be an analog (needle) 0 - 60 feet. I believe it was manufactured by Standard Instruments. It uses a 4 - 5 " hole in the cockpit. It does not seem to work, but the wiring is a mystery. If this is a good product, should I work on it or pull it for professional testing. Is there a better, cheap replacement? Can I use the same transducer? It appears someone installed a toggle switch in the cockpit. I assume that activated the DF? Anyone got a schematic or suggestion? Thanks, Tom

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Probably dead

The transducer is probably dead too, considering the age. With that old of a unit, you should consider two things. First: do you really need a depth sounder? Often times you can just refer to your chart and avoid particularly shoal areas. You have, what, 3' draft? You should be able to go just about anywhere with that! Secondly: look at fishfinders. They can be less expensive than "real" DFs but won't fit in that pre-cut hole. The benefit is that the better ones will not only show the depth (and the fish) but the approximate contour of the bottom (which I find particularly groovy). LaDonna

Status
Not open for further replies.