1979 Cat 30

Apr 2, 2016
Catalina 30 Ventura, Ca
this is my dream boat. But I am over 60. Am I an idiot to look at a boat of this age. It was raced Wednesday Regattas out of Santa Barbara. I know get a surveyor before buying. But how does one know a surveyor is good. Private sale. Asking only $3000. Needs engine. Go ahead and tell me I am an idiot. In Cali, saltwater, open water sailing.

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
CC, I know what you're going through! I'm 63 and just bought a '73 Pearson 30, it's not my dream boat but it's what I've been looking for for now. The Atomic 4 needs work but I believe it can be salvaged. I only paid $2000 for it but to get it out on the lake I had to buy an O/B. It works and I get to sail, so what if I don't have the best at least I'm out and not sitting on the dock. I paid $2,000 for the O/B, but I figure I can pay a mechanic to fix the A4 and pay myself back by selling the O/B and then I've got a boat I can sleep on for less than 4 grand!

Get someone to look at it to make sure it's a good deal and go for it! You'll kick yourself if you don't! (my 2 cents) Lee

Apr 2, 2016
Catalina 30 Ventura, Ca
Thanks all for your 2¢. I am not into a project boat. I want to sail. So I will look into sailing clubs.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
It's probably an Atomic 4 gas. About the easiest engine on the planet to rebuild, if you're mechanically inclined. Also on Cat 30 you can hoist the engine right out of the companionway hatch.
Then you'll have a boat with a good engine, and a total starting cost that will allow room for all the other subsequent projects.
Or find a '79 C30 running and well maintained for $12-15,000.

Apr 2, 2016
Catalina 30 Ventura, Ca
I would rather crew on someone else's boat. I don't have project in me. Particularly now that I have seen interior pics of all original. That tells me a lot.

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
I am 76. I bought a really worn out Catalina 30 hull #364. Had a foot of water inside from years of sitting on her mooring. Threw away the engine, shaft, strut, fuel tank, wiring etc. now there is a second hand 15 horse long shaft and a stern engine mount. I sail her costantly including other uslands in the Caribbean.