1979 C&C 36 centerboard

Jul 8, 2023
c&c 36 Seattle
I am in the market for a new vessel and I am considering a 79 c&c with a center board. I had not considered a center board, but the vessel came on the market. It has a great ownership history with the last owners having her for over 30 years.

1. Is the center board more fuss then its worth? Will I have a lot of issues to deal with?
2. Are there issues with a shallow bilge?
3. How is the upwind sailing performance?
4. Should I be concerned if it has a cored hull?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Answering your questions from my vipoint

1. Is the center board more fuss than its worth? Will I have a lot of issues to deal with?
No more fuss than any other system on a boat. Issues? Depends. More bottom paint, maintenance to keep it functional, the design helps the boat point higher. A center board sticks deeper in the water so you need to consider the water depth. You can adjust the center board to get into shallower water.

Not unusual. You see the water sooner than in a deep bilge.

Better for that hull than without a center board.

Maybe if there has been water intrusion into the hull, damaging the core.

These may not be the best questions to ask about a 40 plus year old boat.

1. Will the boat provide what you seek in a sailing boat for the waters you desire to sail?
  2. Is the rig/sails/auxiliary power in good , well maintained condition.
    Is the deck and hull sound?
  3. Can you afford to buy the boat and do the deferred maintenance needed to take the boat out of the marina?
  4. Do you have a marina to house the boat?
Are a few important questions to ask.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
And, as has been brought up before, can you get insurance on a 40+ year old boat?

Jul 8, 2023
c&c 36 Seattle
Answering your questions from my vipoint

1. Is the center board more fuss than its worth? Will I have a lot of issues to deal with?
No more fuss than any other system on a boat. Issues? Depends. More bottom paint, maintenance to keep it functional, the design helps the boat point higher. A center board sticks deeper in the water so you need to consider the water depth. You can adjust the center board to get into shallower water.

Not unusual. You see the water sooner than in a deep bilge.

Better for that hull than without a center board.

Maybe if there has been water intrusion into the hull, damaging the core.

These may not be the best questions to ask about a 40 plus year old boat.

1. Will the boat provide what you seek in a sailing boat for the waters you desire to sail?
  2. Is the rig/sails/auxiliary power in good , well maintained condition.
    Is the deck and hull sound?
  3. Can you afford to buy the boat and do the deferred maintenance needed to take the boat out of the marina?
  4. Do you have a marina to house the boat?
Are a few important questions to ask.
Thanks John. I am in the PNW also.

1. Yes i think the boat has what i want. Big enough for my self and my girfriend to cruise on weekends or for a week with decent sailing performance. It doesn't have a few things that i would like. For example it has an ice box and not refrigeration, but that is upgradable if i soo choose.
2. The standing and running rigging is 2 years old. The standing rigging was shinny. The engine was re-built 3 years ago. It has the original yanmar. I walked the deck and could not find soft spots, but would get s survey done if i choose to make an offer.
3. I don't want to say its turn key, but it looks ready to sail.
4. I do have a slip ready in Everett.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
1. That's your call. If you sail in skinny water or like to gunk hole it could be worth the trouble. There will be trouble. I see you're in Seattle. You will need to keep that board clean.
2. If there is no sump it can be harder to remove incidental water. When you are heeled water can travel up the inside of the hull along the round chine and get into storage areas.
3. The upwind performance with the board down will be slightly less than then with the scimitar keel - which for 1979 was pretty good.
4. Yes.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
1. That's your call. If you sail in skinny water or like to gunk hole it could be worth the trouble. There will be trouble. I see you're in Seattle. You will need to keep that board clean.
2. If there is no sump it can be harder to remove incidental water. When you are heeled w ater can travel up the inside of the hull along the round chine and get into storage areas.
3. The upwind performance with the board down will be slightly less than then with the scimitar keel - which for 1979 was pretty good.
4. Yes.
I found I got very little growth on my board on Skipping Stone, if it was up, more than down. There was an amazingly small amount of growth in the centerboard trunk, as well.