1978 Hunter 30 throttle/shifter cables

Oct 28, 2018
Hunter 30 Cherubini Kemah, TX
Hello everyone,

I recently was able to get the old Yanmar Ysm12 in my Hunter 30 running with the help and suggestions of everyone on this forum. Thank you all very much! I now have maintenance issue I’m hoping someone has dealt with before or have the information available.

The governor/throttle cable seems to work fine, but shifter wouldn’t kick the transmission from reverse into neutral or forward. I figured it is time to replace both cables. Does anyone know what type and length of cables are needed? Any suggestions as far as the easiest way To get this done?

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
One thing you should check is to make sure the shifter cable jacket is secure in the pedestal. If the jacket moves, it is likely that the long cable will flex and not allow the inside wire to do its job.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
One quick fix before you replace cable. Cut a corner out a ziploc bag and tape bare. End cable fill with oil and let run down cable to tranny then. Put back together should shift smoothly to get thru season

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Since it's your shifter cable in question and not your throttle, there might be
movement where it attaches to the cockpit wall/bulkhead, inside the mount.
Remove it there and make sure only the internal wire is moving when the knob is moved.