1977 Yamaha 25 MKII Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2009
1983 Hunter 25 Cherubini - 1975 Yamaha 25 MII 25 San Diego
I am making pretty good progress on my 1977 Y25 MKII acquired a month and a half ago here in San Diego.

One of the first items was taking care of the motor. Upon purchase, it started and ran, but the PO was not much of a sailor/boat owner and I thought I had better go through things, and get the Yanmar YSB8 squared away ('before" photo is on the far right). Additionally, I had suspicions about the fuel tank so I pulled it, had it cleaned and polished, and reinstalled with new hoses. It had about an inch and a half of sludge along the bottom.

Take a look at the condition of the thermostat below. That will give you an idea of what was encountered. Also is a photo of the motor before, the motor during prep, and the "after". I also had a crack in the muffler that was detected. I purchased a new Vetus and installed it under the forward stbd seat area.

The old Yanmar now looks brand new and runs like new!

I am now doing some upgrades on my rigging, about to order a roller furler and new jib, have resurfaced the black table tops, and having new cushions done. I have made and varnished a new companionway cover... I am pulling her out to go into the yard this week to inspect the shaft, do the bottom paint, re-paint her boot and shear stripes, and compound and buff the hull.

More photos and updates to follow of my progress along the way!

Attachments

Pakele

Mar 20, 2011
Yamaha 25MKII Des Moines, Wa
I have the same year and model... and I believe I saw the boat you purchased for sale, if so, I think you got a steal of a deal... The work you are doing is magnificent.
We just completed a stainless steel shaft refit, 7/8", machined to 22mm at the cutlass bearings and stuffing box. The prop was machined to 7/8" to enable easy replacement.

I am interested in how you did your exhaust system forward and what exact parts you used. My fwd starboard seat contains the starter battery, not much space left in there, my waterlock muffler is installed inline under the stbd aft seat. When I am in the upper range of throttle, I put out a considerable amount of black soot. I believe this possibly could be a result of too much back pressure from the exhaust. Perhaps reworking that system would help. What model of Vetus did you use?
Are you restoring for resale or for your own use? One way or the other, you will have something you will be proud of, I look forward to seeing and hearing of the continued work. Good luck!

Jan 4, 2008
Yamaha Y25 mkII Long Beach, Ca.
WOW Joe , looks great! What paint did you use? My engine compartment is looking sad right now. Thanks for the inspiration. I've got a sea strainer on the intake and plumbed in a fresh water flush valve into the intake. My mufflers stuffed in the engine compartment. You'll have to take a look when your ready to do your cushions.

Pakele, Your running the one lunger to hard. 5 knts is about max on mine. Looking at your profile pics I can see why your looking for more oompf! Your doing some serious sailing up there in the PNW. I just relax and pretend I'm on the African Queen hanging with Bogie & Katherine.

Here's some So Cal action shots

Attachments

Jun 2, 2009
Pekele...interesting you had work done to your shaft...my boat comes out of the water at Shelter Island Boatyard today and I intend to inspect the shaft and have suspicion it may need some attention.

I will take a photo or two of my Vetus muffler install and post it next week. It fits nicely under the forward starboard seat along with my starting battery. A bit tight, but I could not fit it back in the engine compartment. Ideally, I would have liked to install it into the area behind the cabin stairway under the cockpit, but it was too far from the motor.

Lyn...the paint is specific to the Yanmar and can be ordered from any Yanmar dealer. As with all painting, the prep is the key, and my motor looks new.

Boy did she run beautifully from my slip to the boatyard. I cannot wait to get the bottom done to see how she will cruise through the water...the bottom has been neglected over the past eight months or so and sorely needs the attention she will receive over the next few days.

Lastly Guys...I am very concerned about the gate valve that drains the cockpit below the cockpit and behind the cabin stairway as noted above...Has anyone changed that out? I am thinking about doing so this weekend while in the yard. Any comments on this would be welcome!

Best,
JB

Pakele

Mar 20, 2011
Yamaha 25MKII Des Moines, Wa
Great information shared here... I hope your venture on the hard goes well without any surprises. I will look forward to the muffler install photos... I worry that mine, like you say, is too far from the engine. No, I haven't dealt with the gate valve on the cockpit drain... I can't even picture it, is it screwed up? Do you have a need to shut it off, I haven't... Now I'm curious about it.

Jan 4, 2008
Haven't done my cockpit drain but did do a fwd ball valve. I was worried about torque on the hull fitting also. Made a holding tool out of a like sized pipe coupler split in half and clamped onto the thru hull fitting like a split collar with a handle welded to it.
I'll post a pick as soon as I dig it out of the garage and find my camera.
Syntonos

Jan 4, 2008
Heres what I whipped up to hold my thru hull fitting---crude but effective.
1) Take a pipe coupler fitting the size of your thru hull fitting
2) Weld a coupler nut on each side
3) Cut the welded parts in half - drill out one half of coupler-nut for pinch bolt clearance
4) Grind an additional 1/8 off reach half
5) weld on a handle

Presto! A holding tool

:eek: And no I am not a welder.

Attachments

Jun 2, 2009
Well...a lot of progress this weekend. She is on the "hard" at Shelter Island Boatyard! I have a great network of great restoration craftsman and while here I had the bottom sanded, prepped and painted and the boot and shear stripe re-painted. I chose Vivid Red to replace the tired blue. The 1" stripe will wait till she is splashed and will be a Sky Blue.

I have had the Gate Valve (mentioned above) inspected and it is in good shape. However, I am going to have it disassembled, lubed and re-assembled.

I have a few gel-coat issues that I will address, and then my hull should be up to my standards (high).

The Photos below show "before" and "after" of phase 1.

Love this boat!

Attachments

Jun 20, 2009
Yamaha 25, 33, 37 San Diego
Well...a lot of progress this weekend. She is on the "hard" at Shelter Island Boatyard! I have a great network of great restoration craftsman and while here I had the bottom sanded, prepped and painted and the boot and shear stripe re-painted. I chose Vivid Red to replace the tired blue. The 1" stripe will wait till she is splashed and will be a Sky Blue.

I have had the Gate Valve (mentioned above) inspected and it is in good shape. However, I am going to have it disassembled, lubed and re-assembled.

I have a few gel-coat issues that I will address, and then my hull should be up to my standards (high).

The Photos below show "before" and "after" of phase 1.

Love this boat!

Hi Joe:

She is looking beautiful Joe. When are you planning to be back?

I am on the last stages of the upholstery phase. Looks like one of the batteries has gone bad. My buddy is checking tomorrow as I am out of town.

Will be around this weekend.

Regards,

Ed Serra
Sarah V
Yamaha 37

Jun 2, 2009
Thanks Ed...

Hi Joe:

She is looking beautiful Joe. When are you planning to be back?

I am on the last stages of the upholstery phase. Looks like one of the batteries has gone bad. My buddy is checking tomorrow as I am out of town.

Will be around this weekend.

Regards,

Ed Serra
Sarah V
Yamaha 37
Hey Ed,

I am about to take her out of the yard today. I will be taking her back to my slip at the yacht club and won't be back to Marina Cortez, although it was a nice month there getting her staged for phase two. I will give you a shout and am still anxious to take a look at your beautiful Y 37!

Jun 20, 2009
Yamaha 25, 33, 37 San Diego
Hi Joe:

Please keep me posted and come by whenever you can. I have a lot of great memories sailing on the 25. The 37 is very nimble for it's size but not like a 25. On the other hand, we have done 11.5 K on some hard weather.

See ya soon!

Regards,

Ed

Jun 2, 2009
We have had amazing weather here in SoCal this past week or so and my restoration continues. I got my upholstery finished and installed this past weekend and it turned out great, and I thought I would load a couple of photos.

This week I am working on completion of fixing the nicks and gouges in the gelcoat mostly in the cockpit, and I am also planning on repainting the non-skid, painting the vent air scoops, and replacing the black "starboard" lazerette dividers in the cockpit with white to freshen up the look.

I posted a few videos taken of a 4 hour sail I took last week from San Diego to Mission Bay and have posted them on You Tube if any of you have interest. My You Tube user name is Sailingsocal2009 if you care to have a look!

Best,
JB

Attachments

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.