1977 Hunter 30' - help & info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 6, 2010
Hunter 23 Dunedin FL
New to this forum and new to sailing for the most part. I recently was able to aquire a 1977 Hunter 30' . I have not seen the boat personally only what has been said. boat is nice and clean(description) I would like to know a little more about this boat. Please help ! I will plan a trip soon to see her but I need to know what I need to look for and is there a inspection person, that I can get in touch with.... any help !

Lee in Clearwater, Florida

Jan 2, 2005
Hunter 35.5 Legend Lake Travis-Austin,TX
I just did a quick search and there is a ton of info under "Hunter Boat Info.". Go to "Boat Info. " tab, pull down to "Hunter Boat Info." and go to 30 74-83...there are 87 owners' reviews, go down to "problem areas" within the review, first one for '77 was very informative. Also, large section of "Modification Articles". Great resources right here.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
You will have lots of questions after you see the boat. Then you will have more questions when you actually use the boat. And that will last until you sell the boat, guaranteed. Meanwhile follow Honeyman's suggestion. Your boat is a Cherubini designed Hunter. There is a separate forum under "Hunter Owners Forums" where a lot of us old boat owners hang out. And I also agree with Sailgunner, "you bought a boat unseen!?!".

Jan 6, 2010
Hunter 23 Dunedin FL
The boat was given to me , I said aquired not bought. I paid the slip fee for one month in the tune of $175 until Febuary. I haven't received the title yet. So I'm in to the boat $175 as of now.

Oct 12, 2009
beneteau 321 digby
that is awesome

The boat was given to me , I said aquired not bought. I paid the slip fee for one month in the tune of $175 until Febuary. I haven't received the title yet. So I'm in to the boat $175 as of now.
good for you!price was right.as far as problem areas where to begin...I have a 1978 h30 didnt get the deal you did but Im still very happy...problem areas on a boat of this age are numerous but likely the most common would be deck leaks around fixtures which penetrates the core causeing compression issues around the mast step,spongey decks and wet interior cushions,in these 30s the compression posts rests on a short peice of steel ibeam in the bilge which rust out.the ysb12 engine is reliable for the most part though underpowered for i am in the process of repowering with an 18 currently.good luck and keep us posted anxious to see how you make out.

Jan 6, 2010
Hunter 23 Dunedin FL
Received title today

Title was received today, but the owner did not put the boat into his name but he signed the purchaser side of the Texas title. -DA- now I'm trying to get intouch with the original owner. I spoke to the Harbor master he stated that the engine did not run, had a leak around the chain plate 6 years ago. that has been fixed not leaking as of 1/25/09. sails are average to good and rigging is in good condition. all according to the harbor master.He checks on the boat every now and then. Boat has not had a bottom job or been out of the water for 6 years. How well does the bottom paint wear on an Average ?

Thanks for any help
Lee in Clearwater

Aug 23, 2009
Hunter 30 Middle River MD
I have a 30 which I bought about 15 months ago. Love it. Plan to sink some money into it, but don't delude myself that I can recover the costs. This boat loves to go to weather it is strong, we've been out 40 mph winds and she has handled them with grace, far more than its crew.

The YSB 12 is grossly under powered. Not a problem without strong currents but we went out on Delaware Bay early this fall and the engine wasn't really up to the combination of unfavorable wind and a fast current. we'd tried to time coming down with the current and getting to Cape May with slack tide, unfortunately for the first half of the trip there was no wind and it took much longer than planned.

As to the bottom, mine had not been pulled in four years when we pulled it for the survey, the surveyor kept warning me not to be shocked by blisters. To his amazement there weren't any and I have been told these hulls were made reasonably early in the adoption of fiber glass and they tended to be generous with resin and there aren't a lot of blistered bottoms.

If you want to see her under sail on the Cape May run, check out the video on You Tube
the link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5SuGhyx_MU

Status
Not open for further replies.