1975 O'Day 25 Gated Thru Hull (Under Galley Sink)

GreggS

Jun 19, 2024
O'Day 25 Mashpee
Hi. Just bought an old O25 and launched it last week. So far, so good. But I would like to do a few projects including replacing the water lines and getting the sinks working again. There is one thru hull, so I've read, under the galley sink. The sink drain hose is removed and the gate closed on the valve. My question is: Can I mess with this while it is in the water or should I wait until it's pulled for the season. I would think that the thru hull exits above water line, but I have not traced it yet. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks

Gregg

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
The thru hull is definitely below water line. The missing hose is an indication that the thru hull is broken. I vote for working on it only when she is on the hard in case it decides to fall apart while you are testing it.

GreggS

Jun 19, 2024
O'Day 25 Mashpee
The thru hull is definitely below water line. The missing hose is an indication that the thru hull is broken. I vote for working on it only when she is on the hard in case it decides to fall apart while you are testing it.
Good idea. Next season, maybe.
Thank you

pgandw

Oct 14, 2023
Stuart (ODay) Mariner 19 Yeopim Creek
On my ODay 25 (1979?), the through hull for the sink in the head was above the water line by a couple of inches. Both the ice box and the galley sink fed into the pipe which contained the centerboard pennant. None of them had valves or seacocks, which proved problematic when the hose popped off the thru hull for the sink in the head when we were pounding going to windward on starboard tack - which immersed the thru hull and flooded the cabin before we realized what was happening. Another time surfing down waves squirted a lot of water up the centerboard pennant pipe into the sink, the bilge, and the ice box. I extended the cb pennant pipe up to the cockpit, and installed seacocks on all 3 connections.

Fred W
ODay 25 1979-1993
Stuart Mariner 19 2022 - present