1975 C27 gelcoat refinishing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

amory

May 22, 2005
- - Old Greenwich, CT
I am planning on refinishing some small areas of gelcoat around the portlights where there is some crazing/flaking. In a few spots there is exposed underlying glass fabric. I had planned to build these areas up with polyester resin before applying gelcoat. One of the guys at jamestown distributors suggested that I use epoxy as a base in these areas prior to applying gelcoat. He said if I used polyester resin it might not adhere to the underlying laminate. However, I have read (don casey) that gelcoat doesnt adhere to epoxy as well as polyester, so I don't know how to proceed. Can anyone offer any advice?

Jim C

Jun 18, 2004
Catalina 30 Tulsa, OK
I think you want the polyester

Along with Don Casey's recommendation (which I would definitely follow) I received advice from the folks at my local West Marine that gelcoat won't adhere to the epoxy resin. I've used Evercoat Formula 27 with good results. Good luck, Jim

amory

May 22, 2005
- - Old Greenwich, CT
Thanks! Now for the follow up question

Thanks for responding Jim. That was my feeling too. So I have 2 choices, finishing resin which has wax, and does not remain tacky, and laminating resin, which has no wax, and remains tacky. Which would I use? I am thinking laminating resin since I want to put gelcoat over it, but I am a complete noob to this so I would appreciate any further advice.

Jim C

Jun 18, 2004
Catalina 30 Tulsa, OK
That I'm not sure about

I wouldn't think you'd want to use a laminating epoxy because you couldn't sand it prior to the gelcoat application. Remember that the gelcoat will be pretty thin and you have to have a smooth surface for it. You might want to look at West System's web page, you can request free literature from them which covers many how to questions (granted using their products). Good luck, Jim

J

John

marine tex

Ive been useing marine tex for small fixes I dig out the cracks fill with crack sealer let dry.Then clean with prepsol and sand the spot clean again and apply MT in white.sand down to600 gt let dry and wax.matches OK after a few weeks a little dirt the spots are hard to find.Very easy .I have afew spots that where fixed by the PO with gellcoat and they are OK but they are not much better then mine. John

Status
Not open for further replies.