1974 G30 Shroud Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chip

I have a problem and need some advice. My forward starboard shroud has broken loose a little below decks. It is not completely free but there is motion and I can see that one screw is missing in the fitting on the deck which holds the mounting bracket to the deck. The shroud itself seems to be very loose when compared to all the other shrouds and stays. It appears that there are a couple of metal plates with three bolts which are holding the shroud in place below decks. The metal plates and bolts extend down through the deck and into the cabin closet across from the head and aft of the v-birth. It looks like the wood has disintegrated in the vicinity of the metal plates allowing the plates to give way. I think I can fix this problem by replacing the metal plates with larger metal plates which would sandwich the remaining good wood of the bulkhead between the v-berth and the closet and provide a firm base for the shroud but I would like opinions on the viability of this option. It also looked like there may have been a water problem in that vicinity at some point so I suspect that the mounting screw came out and allowed water to enter that area and over time caused the wood to deteriorate. Is this making sense? Is it safe to release one shroud (forward starboard) at the base near the deck topside in-port if all the others shrouds and stays are firmly mounted? I think I am going to need to do that in order to make the repair in that way. Is there a different/better way to address a problem like this? Thanks again! Chip

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Common problem with leakey chainplates .....

Consdier to replace ALL those chainplates. Breakage occurs principally from fatigue of the metal that is accelerated by crevice corrosion. The crevice corrosion propagates by water infiltrating into the teeney fatigue cracks. Replace with 'mirror polished' 316L stainless steel that has NO surface irregularities such as nicks, saw cuts, raw edges, etc. Its much better to replace with a thicker or wider plate. If you keep water from the area where the plate goes throgh the deck by routine maintenance and re-caulking you will prolong the 'life' of the plates. If you have rot in the deck where the plates are located the rot will keep supplying the necessary water to enhance the 'crevice corrosion' .... the rot HAS to be removed/repaired. Evidence of one plate failure is a very good indication that ALL the plates should be replaced .... no matter how good they appear.

jimq26

Jun 5, 2004
- - -
You must replace your bulkheads

There is no such thing as a temporary patch for what you are describing. Someone over the years has neglected to annually reseal the chainplates where they exit the cabin and deck. You have a total of 6 that have to be done faithfully or you end up with rotten bulkheads. You are in great danger if you try to sail the boat the way it is. Yes, you can release the lowers and do the replacement work on your bulkheads. Replace both port and starboard bulkheads. That little plate on the deck (that is missing a screw) doesn't hold the mounting bracket. That plate simply sits over the chainplate where it exits the cabin through the deck. I'm surprised all of this wasn't caught in the survey since you just recently bought the boat.

C

Chip

Thank you very much for the insights!

I really appreciate this forum and the timely detailed responses! Sincerely, Chip

jimq26

Jun 5, 2004
- - -
We are here to help if we can

Many of us have been through the same situations, so please don't hesitate to ask. If you need more input on bulkhead replacement etc. give us a shout. Be thankful you were not out on our section of Lake Ontario tonight - 25 to 28 knots with 2 metre waves. You really need your mast, shrouds and stays in perfect condition to feel comfortable when racing in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.