1973 Catalina 22 Keel Cable Replacment

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peter

I just purchased a Catalina 22 my wife and I took it Sailing yesterday for the first time it was Great fun! We took a Basic Keel Boat Class Last Winter together and Past the test and are certified. It was our first time out alone. I have to admit though that without the class we would have been lost. Even with my years of boating experience. I just got back from the Ocean Friday after taken a good Beating for 2 days In my 2301 Seaswirl Striper. Fog 6 foot swell @7sec 3 to 6 wind chop. Had a blast though! Enough about that . At any rate I noticed some fraying on the keel cable on our 22 and I want to replace the cable what is the best way?

Attachments

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
keel cable

You can buy the replacement cable from Catalina Direct. Its pretty straight forward to replace while on the trailer disconnect from the keel and pull it off disconnect from the winch,(make sure when you push the new cable through the Volcano that the cable is on the back(aft) side of the turning ball) If I were you I would pull the Volcano hose and take a look at the turning ball while I was at it, if it has a flat place on it, it too will need replaced. If you don't know how old the hose is I would replace the hose and add a second clamp both (new). Good luck

Sep 21, 2005
Catalina 22 Henderson Bay, NY
Replace it all

I bought a used C-22( 1984) last fall and I replaced the cable, turning ball, hose, clamps, and keel winch. This way you can sail and not worry about your system. I think you will find this to be a good investment. You should look at your winch and see if it has the "small" center drum. If it does, then replace it for sure. The new winches have a larger drum so the cable will not kink. We love the boat, and welcome to the c-22 family. Dale

Aug 20, 2006
- - Bend Oregon 1973 Catalina 22
So it sounds like If I pull the rubber hose its all right there? Because when I look under the boat I cant see anything and I also cant drop the Keel on the trailer, Thank you very much fot your help. best Peter

Aug 20, 2006
Well I did some more investigating and it looks like I have to put the Boat in the water to change the Cable. I was wondering if some one can give me a discription of what the keel end of the cable looks like. Is it a thimble and pin set up similar to a main halyard I would like to pre make one before I head for the Lake. Also what type of tools do I need. A photo would be Great! Thanks Peter

Aug 20, 2006
Bob that is an excellent Idea! It looks like about 3in will do maybe 4 ya think its safe? And Thanks for the photo! That really helps. I should be able to Machine something.... Best, Peter

K

kmiller

Drop the keel on the trailer?

I have the short trailer, my keel is low enough to get to the attach point for the cable. If you use a couple of 55 gal drums and some hefty timbers you can probably raise the boat up enough to let the keel down. Block the back of the boat up by jacking the trailer jack up and down, by alternately jacking and blocking you may be able to get it high enough to let the keel down a little. Just a wild guess, depending on how your trailer it built maybe it will save you some trouble. Kerry

K

Kmiller

More keel cable ideas

I blew up the pix of your boat/trailer, if you let the trailer jack way down, then block up the back of the boat, then jack up the trailer, you might be able to get enough room to work on it while it's just above the trailer. Use something VERY sturdy like some big timbers, I don't want it dropping on you! I've jacked mine up like that a couple of times while I've been working on it. Kerry

Aug 20, 2006
Thanks for the excellent blue print Bob and also thanks for the great Idea Terry. heres what I did. I ordered a cable from Catalina Direct. It showed up yesterday UPS I took the Boat To the shop. Then bent some 1/2 cold roll into a U shape about 4in long. made 2 of them welded them on the ends of a 4x4 x 3/16 x 9ft long placed it on the fork lift. On tied the boat from the trailer slid the mast forward made sure everything was out of the way pulled the fork lifts forks over the Boat transom as forward as I could get. used a 7500lb tow strap and lifted the transom up enough to replace the cable . I inspected the and found a flat spot took the ball to the lathe stuck it on a mandrel and machined the flat spot out with a 1/8th radius tool deciced the O.D of the Grove was to small. machined a new one out of bronze and with a .407 hole and made a delrin bushing to bring the ID back to 1/4 pressed the bushing in then rechucked ball back in lathe and redrilled hole to 17/64ths . Installed in Boat. All the Best, Peter P.S SailBoats are a Machinists Dream. Lots of cool Parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.