1970 Morgan 28

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bbrown

We are looking at a 1970 Morgan 28 to buy. It looks a little beaten up but otherwise sound. Any advise? Things to look for? Many thanks

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
Buying old boats

B: There are a few versions: which do you have? *Fixed or Swing keel? *keel or deck-stepped mast? As with any older boat, there are a HOST of things to look for! I could probably go on for quite a long time listing items to look for, but I believe the general consensus will be to FIND A GOOD SURVEYOR AND HIRE HIM (or her)! We purchased our M28 OI (1973 vintage) from a friend here in NJ. We thought we knew the boat well, but at the last minute, we decided to go with a well-known local surveyor. He spent over 6 hours going over the boat from stem to stern and inside-out (it was REALLY COLD out too!). This guy has the patience of a saint! Anyway, after a week or so, we got a 22-page report from him documenting all of his findings and itemizing everything that was deficient. Some of the things that came up: corroded thru-hull valves, a number of areas of delamination both on the deck and below the waterline due to water ingress, dirty fuel, obsolete electrical system, bottom paint too thick (THAT ONE I KNEW!), ETC... Bottom line, after paying $300 for the survey, we ended up paying $1500 less for the Merry Bee than we would have! Not a bad deal...Huh? Jim & Barb Ocean Gate, NJ

Aug 2, 2005
- - Brunswick, ME
1970 M28

I own that exact boat (Selkie - M281 Hull #57, 1970), and there are several others with knowledgeable owners around. As Jim and Barb said, you NEED a survey - it could save your life. With a boat this old, EVERYTHING is suspect. You need to know that the through-hulls are sound, that mast fittings are not corroded, that the chainplates aren't cracked and a myriad of other issues. The M28 has the same issues as the M30, 32, 34, 38 of the same age. They are similar designs and share components (such as mast extrusion). Morgan-specific issues for a boat of this type are: Mast-step/mast corrosion, rotten wooden spreaders, corroded centerboard lifting tackle. All of these are inexpensive and easy to fix. As in all boats this age, look for leaking ports and hull/deck seams. They can be fixed, but it's a pain. It's not common, but some Morgans weep where the rudder shaft enters the hull. Mine had this problem. Again, this is fairly easy - if messy - to fix. While hull issues are also not common, a couple of Morgans of this vintage have suffered some delamination in the hull. Also the electrical systems on these boats are minimal and not even close to ABYC. If the boat has a gas engine, the whole system really ought to be moved out of the engine compartment! Many M281s have the Palmer P60 engine. It's a nice engine but will require TLC and would be the subject of a complete post by itself. Be sure that you can get to the engine and transmission - the stock M28 doesn't have much access. On my boat, the entire side of the storage compartment has been cut out and can be removed for access to the engine. Also, I have a new fuel tank that sits back against the lazarette bulkhead, giving me space to crawl in and sit behind the stuffing box. In general - the M28 is very fast, dry, points poorly (lousy sheeting angle) but foots darned well, tender (that's a LOT of canvas with a 3' draft), needs a constant hand on the tiller (I use a Tillerpilot a LOT) and needs a modern (CDI or Indigo) prop to perform well under power. Reef her early and she'll make you happy. In light winds, she will surprise you and stun others (I did a horizon job on a 34' Hunter not long ago - I had 1/2 knot on him in 3 knots of wind). Things I like - a lot. I couldn't begin to list them here, but here are some highlights: she's fast, handles well, dry, simple, roomy, has plenty of headroom. Things I don't like - the oversize dining table (I don't fit behind it), the low cockpit seats (I need a cushion or two to see over the cabin), the narrow side-decks, the pressboard door on the head, the lack of backing plates under the railings, and the minimal engine access. One thing I like and don't like - they don't sell for much, so they're easy to buy but it is a hard choice to upgrade one because you won't get your money back. There's far too much for me to go into here. I think I could write a book on what I like and don't like about this boat. Would I buy one again? Yes.

B

Bob S

M28 BucephaloS

first get a survey, if it passes muster then haggle haggle haggle the price. you will eaisly spend 10K in upgrades, paint, sails and bottom job. this boat is worth the effort. typical vintage morgan, fast for its day and very comfortable ride. with practice you can fuss with the main trim and c/b angle to self steer for a time - usually the time it takes for someone to run out of beer and go tromping around to get another. the first two seasons it wouldn't point worth a damn, close reach basicly. i installed jib tracks on the cabintop and relocated the forward lowers 30" aft. with a #3 it now points very well. but only with the #3. yes the dinette table is too big but it is easy to make a new one. the original fits nicely in the area aft of the dinette - you need it to make a bed of the dinette the only problems i found - and this was not a really well kept boat when i bought it - the c/b mechanism has around a 19" piece of ss wire underwater. it vanished in a season. i replaced with kevlar & no problem since. the location of the through hulls is akward and if it has the groco rubber seacox the rubber is problematical. i have not had any serious problems with the palmer gas engine, then again i sail off a mooring. all in all it is a great cruising boat a couple - plenty of room for two cramped for four - and a comfortable daysailor for up to five. BTW i made an asym for BucephaloS and it performs quite well with it, a wild ride when blowing 25kts but the boat takes it ( better than some of the crew), in 5 to 15 it's very fast with the asym. cheap enough speed oh, like all boats of the era it has a two burner homestrand / kenyon alchohol stove. better to eat cold cuts.

B

B. Brown

thanks for your responses

Many thanks for the advice. We did, in fact, get a survey and ended up buying the boat. I am always impressed by the generosity of those who take time to answer these posts. Next, we'll be looking for information on repairs/maintenance but for now are enjoying the first, rosy glow of ownership. B

Status
Not open for further replies.