1967 Morgan 34 shaft removal

tilla

Mar 23, 2024
morgan 34 bay point marina little creek
Hey out there does anyone know if the rudder has to be removed to get the shaft out of the Morgan 34s thanks

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
If the shaft was purposely misaligned or you have a skeg version, maybe not. Otherwise it looks like it does.

tilla

Mar 23, 2024
Thanks Paul yeah that’s what I thought not sure how involved that will be to remove was hoping a turn on the rudder to the side would work

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
If you wanted to cut a notch out of the leading edge the shaft might squeeze by with the rudder turned, but weakening the rudder like that might not be a good idea.

tilla

Mar 23, 2024
I thought about that I wonder how much meat is there and how much I would have to cut I guess if it wasn’t much I could glass it back when I got it in

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
I thought about that I wonder how much meat is there and how much I would have to cut I guess if it wasn’t much I could glass it back when I got it in
It looks like the rudderpost is at the leading edge of the rudder - probably a SS bar. There may be a fiberglass wrapping that you could grind down, but going beyond that to cutting the post would probably not be a smart move. You may have some "wiggle room" from removing the cutlass bearing, but the drawing on Sailboatdata makes it look like the shaft has a lot of solid keel/sternpost fiberglass holding it very straight.

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
Yes, I saw the pics on sailboat data after my post. Not much room at all.

tilla

Mar 23, 2024
Yeah I talked to a older guy that works on boats and he seemed to think that it would slide out with out removing the rudder . I’m also dealing with the centerboard what a pain in the ass just keeps going I’m missing my 1978 tartan 34 c everyday .