18' Capri

• Thread starter George Ohlendorf
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

George Ohlendorf

I don't find any information, questions or even a location for information about the 18' Capri? Does anyone own one? And are you happy with the boat? I would like a 22, but since my Blazer has a 4.3 liter engine I am concerned about towing weight.

T

tomD

C-22 and towing

Is towing your main concern in your boat choice? The C-18 appears to be more of a daysailer and picnicker than the C22, which is actually capable of cruising. The C-22 is more adaptable to different uses and waters. I tow a C-22 with a '94 Pathfinder, 3.0 V6 on a single axle Trailrite Trailer with no problems so far. If your tow vehicle is rated for 3500 lbs and you know how to trailer, I'd say go for the C-22 if towing is your decisionmaker. If you want a really nice roomy daysailer, the 18 may be your choice.

T

Tom Fuller

Capri 18

I own an '87 Capri 18. The difference between the 18 and 22? The 18 has a fixed keel. Some of the 22's have a swing keel. Both boats are considered daysailors. Look at the models in this site. Not much of a cabin in either one of them. What do you get for 4 more feet? Higher price, more room, sail area and weight. I'm totally happy with mine. Remember, if you buy a trailerable boat with a fixed keel, make sure the trailer has an extendable tongue for launching and retrieving.

T

Tom Fuller

P.S.

In 1987 a Capri 18 was sailed solo from California to Hawaii in 28 days. Quite a long picnic!

G

George Ohlendorf

Thanks for the information and insight. I am looking forward to joining the ranks of Catalina owners. Tom, two more questions, how far do you trailer the 22? And is the the Capri 22?

T

tomD

C-22 trailering

I trailer my C-22 long distances, this summer the shortest run was 120 miles each way, the long trip was 750 miles in hot weather. My vehicle has the tow package which includes transmission cooling. Rolling resistance and trailer behaviour really improves for these long hauls with balanced and high inflation, lubricated bearings, and proper tongue weight for your vehicle. Haulout on a C-22 is a bit of a challenge, depending on the ramp and winds, and helpers. The C-18 would be way easier to tow because it is not approaching the weight of the vehicle. I have never had a chance to sail one, but did have a 16' Wayfarer clone which I still miss: excellent sailer, and like the Capri 18 quite famous for ocean crossings--seaworthiness is not a function of length, but comfort is. I camped on the shore with the 16, it worked just great, but it was limited by the ability to put ashore. That's why I moved up: cabin amenities and space, particularly on overnights and bad weather days. The capri 22: you'd have to ask someone else about that, looks fast!

E

Erik

C-18 info

I am the secretary/treasurer of the C18 Nat'l Assn. Our website is: www.catalina18.net I can provide or find an answer to most any question about the C18. I wouldn't mind having a C22 Mk II, but: I don't have the storage space; the boat costs too much for my budget; and my truck won't easily tow a C22. E-mail me at: esvanr@firedept.net

G

George Ohlendorf

Capri 18

Thank you for the information. If all goes well we will purchase an 18 in the next several days. Welive about 70 miles west of Chicago, so we are some distance from you, but we would like info or updates sent to home as you see fit. That address is Geoohlen@aol.com. Thanks again.

T

tomD

Best wishes

George, best wishes for you and your new sailboat. And thank you Erik for posting your website, that is an amazing boat. Someone once observed that the fun had with a boat was often inversely proportional to its length, also I note the longer the boat I buy/charter -- the less time I spend aboard. And vice versa. The C-18 could easily be one of those famous "Sweet Spots" between an open dinghy and a cruiser. The C-22 has established itself in there over the past 25 years as well. Pretty hard to go wrong with either.

B

Bernard

great boat

You will enjoy the Capri 18 so much. Fun to handle solo, great and forgiving, perfect for learning and improve sailing skills. The cabin allows for two people to sleep very comfortably, (I am 6+ ft tall). I also have a Catalina 25, but sail on my 18 quite often, and I don't think I could part from her. So, if you do buy the 18, tell me what you do think. Happy sailing!

Status
Not open for further replies.