170 Repair Question

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Hunter 170 Lake Logan Martin AL
I have a few cracks to fix. I am not familiar with Plexus. I am familiar with Bondo.

Is Bondo resin reactive/destructive to our hull material?

I have repaired fiberglass before by drilling holes around the crack. Applied resin fills the holes and crack for a great patch. Even if the resin doesn't bond it will hold a crack provided it doesn't melt the hull.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I don’t know about the plastic on those Hunters specifically, but generally speaking typical Bondo is not recommended for marine use. The filler used in Bondo is not especially waterproof, which can lead to durability problems.

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
Lots of info on this topic at this forum and others. A Google search "Hunter 170 hull crack repair" will lead you to them.

Long and short, Plexus is the only adhesive up to the job. Bondo, epoxy, polyester resin (i.e. fiberglass) will not properly adhere to the Luran plastic hulls of pre-2005 Hunter 170's.

What year was your boat manufactured?

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Hunter 170 Lake Logan Martin AL
I don’t know about the plastic on those Hunters specifically, but generally speaking typical Bondo is not recommended for marine use. The filler used in Bondo is not especially waterproof, which can lead to durability problems.
I had a leaking shower in my home. Rather than fight a major install I elected for a repair. Bondo resin did the trick. A little sanding and paint, all has been good for years.

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
You might be in luck. It is my understanding (possibly not accurate) that your hull is made from fiberglass, in which case a polyester-based product like fiberglass would be the logical choice. While Bondo is one such material, but I would take Davidasailor26's warnings to heart.

The older Luran hulls have an outer layer of Luran plastic, an intermediate layer of foam, and an inner layer of Luran plastic. I'm not sure exactly what the layup of the more recent hulls might be.

Hopefully Crazy Dave Codon can chime in here. He's the resident expert on the Hunter 170.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Tater
Csn you tell me if it is a 140 or 170. Can you take a few photos and post them here. You have a plastic hull. Bondo will not work at all. Let me know when photos have bet posted. I will send you a private message so you can send me your phone number. I never give out your personal information at all.
Dave