170 / 146 "winterizing"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tereza

Jun 10, 2005
Hunter 146 Candlewood Lake, CT
Season's over on Candlewood Lake...pulled the boat on Sunday, Monday powerwashed and covered her. Sigh... So, in keeping with the carefree nature of this boat, are there any special things that y'all do to the boat when leying it up for the winter? Do you wax the hull? Don't get me wrong - not looking for extra work... But I have wondered, now that she's no longer "new", if the bottom will benefit from waxing. I do not, and will not, use bottom paint. She's docked mostly in fresh water, and this season it was sufficient to beach her twice and rub with a sponge and water - no chemicals needed. Just now, used Soft Scrub to get the griminess off - hull is spanking clean and white now! Trailer is up on blocks, tires armoralled, and a tarp loosely covering the entire boat, to keep out leaves, but allow circulation. Boat is under trees, so will not get any direct sunlight. Anything else? Or can I start reading all those sailing books, and prepare for foaming the mast come spring?!

Dec 3, 2003
Hunter Legend 37 Portsmouth, RI
Wax in the Spring

I'd save waxing it until the spring. If it's covered then there is no need to worry. But, as a matter of preference, I'd take inside anything that can chip or peel (e.g. teak, varnish, rudder, etc.) no sense exposing these to the winter elements unless, of course, the boat is inside a garage for the winter.

feejer

Sep 17, 2005
- - S.E., PA
Take off what you can

I would strip my powerboat bare. Take anything you can off and store it. Not just protection from the weather, but from small critters too. I always put a handful of mothballs in a bucket and leave them on the boat.

Dec 3, 2003
Hunter Legend 37 Portsmouth, RI
Let me add this:

I also take off all of my fabric cushions and store them (covered) in the attic. They can "breathe" up there and mold/mildew is non-existent.

May 22, 2004
Hunter 170 Brewerton
Won't Hurt

Take the pressure off the bow eye by releasing the winch. This way the hull lays supported on the bunkers only. No chance of pressure to the hull from being pulled down by the winch. May prevent distortion to or dreaded crack to hull.

Mar 8, 2005
Hunter 170 Ventura, California
What ever strikes your mood !

I find that some days, I just don't want to deal with the cold, damp or wind to work on any out door projects, but give me a day of sun shine and some warm tempatures Happy Happy ! The rest of the time I'm thinking about what I would like to do, what I should do, and of course, what I have to do ! In any case, I can dream of what I would like to be doing :) I use Mcguires polish / wax, on my 170, This is what I use on my antique cars and I found that it gave a nice luster on the 170, easy to use and take off and buffs nicely. I sail in the ocean. When I bring the boat out of the water I immediately hose her down and towel her off dry, comes out nice. When I don't do this the salt crystal dry and is like sand paper and if left on the boat would be that much harder to get off. although, in some cases I have waited until the next day to wash her down and get her ready for the next outing. The salt comes off easy enough because of the wax / polish. I would like to keep that new boat look as long as possible and waxing it once or twice a year is easy enough to do.

Jun 16, 2004
- - -
Winterizing

I take off the mast and mainsheets plus anything else that's not permanantly fastened, wash and dry the boat, inspect for any undiscovered cracks, put a 20 ft length of pipe in the mast holder and put my tarp over that. I elevate the front of the trailer a bit more in winter to facilitate complete runoff, and that's it. Except for occasionally brushing off heavy snowfalls from the tarp, she goes to sleep until late May.

Tereza

Jun 10, 2005
Hunter 146 Candlewood Lake, CT
Resting up for the winter

Thanks for all the tips. I checked the tarp today, after the Nor'easter/Wilma hit us, and had to readjust to keep water from collecting. Looks quite good now. Released the winch, so she rests on the boards and the bow mount. Nothing is in the boat, released tension on the cb "blue bungee", rudder, boom, and sails safely in basement. Now just an occasional check to see that none of the wildlife has moved in, and water is draining from the tarp. Glenn...if you find yourself on the "right coast" and those feelings of wanting to tinker with a boat hit you - let me know - please! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.