150 Genoa

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

D. Forster

I have a '79 c22, I am considering adding a 150 Genoa to my sail inventory, now I only have the standard main and jib, and would like to move faster in light winds like all the boats that pass me by. I'd appreciate suggestions on: 1) what sail to get - best value 2) should I upgrade to a furling system and if so, what system is a good one. thanks

M

Mark Taylor

WHY NOT TRY A GENNAKER?

I have a C28, with a 135% genoa, but faced the same problem in light airs. The genny is too heavy for light air, so I opted for a MPS (gennaker) with a squeezer (or snuffer) fitted. This is easy to handle for a short-handed crew, no poles to set, and will take you from running square to a moderately fine reach. It's A LOT easier than a spinnaker!

B

Brad Williams

Wouldn't leave home without a furler.

The purists don't care for them because of sail shape....but they make life so easy I can't imagine ever having a boat without one. CDI comes about as cheap as any....with a 22-foot boat (I had a Cat 22 also) you shouldn't even have to opt for the bearings. You can buy other set-ups for more money, but IMHO they can't work any better from a functional standpoint. No, I don't work for CDI. I'm only suggesting that it will do what you want and is (I think) the cheapest. I had a 150 in addition to my 110 for the 22. The 150 (I don't remember the weight) was an enigma to me -- the sail itself was too heavy in very light air to do much good. In heavy air, it was a terror. So I wound up using the 110 a lot. I considered going to a 130 or so....never did. On my current boat (a Capri 26) the 150 doesn't give me the same fits that the 150 did on the 22 -- maybe it's boat design, although I'm sure there are plenty of Cat 22 folks out there that swear by their 150. The genaker suggested by Mark is probably another alternative I considered along with the 130. I just thought the genaker a little more work than I needed to put into sailing (that old "nothing simpler than rolling out/rolling in a head sail" mentality). All food for thought. Good Sailing. Brad

B

Barry P. Broyles

I use mine most of the time.

D: I have a 150 genoa that is made from sailcloth that appears the same as my 110 and I use it for 90% of my sailing. Sometimes in very light air it doesn't fill very well but most of the time it works great. Last year I purchased new jib sheets and discontinued using a snap shackle in favor of tieing them on and this helped improve light wind sailing. As long as the wind isn't over about 17 knots I usually fly the jenny. Barry P. Broyles C22 # 1909 "Brighteyes"

D

Don

Genoa 140

I just purchased a used 140 Genoa from Minnies in Newport Beach. It is a self furling Genoa. I tried to put it on the same small self furling system that was on the boat for the jib. It did not work well. Without upgrading the furling system, I will just have to use it without one. I may even try and move up to a 150 genoa, although I have been told that is too much sail for the 22.

J

Jim

Get a backstay adjuster

Everyone here in Austin sails with a 150 95% of the time. The other 5% the wind is over 18 mph. The tricks to sailing with a 150 are. 1. Rig tune - see the north Sails rig tuning guide, available from catalina 22 fleet 69 home page(see related link). 2. Sheet lead - most of us use inboard (from the original factory position) tracks and position the car at the back edge of the cabin. Parts available from catalina direct. 3. Back stay adjustment - you need to bend the mast to flatten the main and adjust the center of effort for minimum helm. Heavier air requires more bend, light air, less bend. Kits are available from catalina direct 4. Ease the main in the puffs to keep the boat upright. You can also adjust the traveler to take power out of the main in heavy air. Also: vang and main outhaul tight in heavy air. Do these things and your boat will point well and you will easily go 5 to 5.5 knots upwind in strong air. Seems like the jenny is good for at least a half of a knot and half knot want not!

Status
Not open for further replies.