135 vs. 150

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim

I will be getting a new furling jib and I am trying to decide between a 135 and a 150. I sail on Long Island Sound where the wind is generally too light but 18 knot winds are not uncommon. Is 150 too much? Jim Maritnolich Odyssey C30 tall rig #5308

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA

If the winds are generally light, sounds as if you'd use the 150 the most. Go with it, then when it really blows, roll it up to a 135 or 110 or 100 or less.

K

Ken

No

You can always furl in, but once it is all the way out (135) and you need more--theres non left. I have a 150

R

Ray Bowles

Depends

Regardless of which sail you mount on the furling you should have a foam luff installed and a UV protecting strip. This allows the sail to retain a useable shape when partially rolled in. Usually the limit is about 25 to 30% retracted while still providing a good foil. If the 150 is constructed of heavy cloth (6oz. or higher)it might not fly very well in light air as the weight is too great. If most of your sailing is very light winds you might consider the 130 first, as its hung weight is much less and will hold shape better. Either way you will love the convenience of the furler. Ray

A

Allen

Go with the 150

Winds here in Boston & Cape Cod Bay are also light during the summer (not as light as you have, but still not like it is in Newport or the south shore of Long Island). I went with a 150 and never regretted it. Like the previous post said, you can always reef. I keep an old 100% as a backup in case I get caught out in a real blow, which is highly unlikely if you listen to the NOAA weather report before heading out. If you're still undecided about the 150, ask yourself this question: How many times was I concerned about having too much sail up vs how many times did I have to use the engine due to light winds when I'd rather have been sailing. That pretty much helped me make up my mind. Good luck, Allen Schweitzer s/v Falstaff C-30 Hull# 632

Status
Not open for further replies.