--

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Ask them how many will be working on the boat at the same time. Sometimes it requires 2 persons to manage the installation, one working from inside and one from outside for this job.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
At first blush more than a week of labor sounds like a lot to me too. But how much disassembly is needed to get to where the strut mounts inside the boat? Often that will require removing or at least repositioning things like the fuel tank. That means emptying the tank first, etc. I could imagine this kind of project snowballing to take a couple people a few days, so I guess that adds up pretty quickly.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
What @Don S/V ILLusion said.

You didn't mention how old your boat is but if it goes back a ways, you may be looking at a new prop shaft, shaft coupling, rubber connector and a few other etceteras.

Struts don't usually fail unless they're hit in a hard grounding or something is way out between the strut and the Xmission coupling. This may be where the heavy cost is coming from.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
You didn't mention how old your boat is but if it goes back a ways, you may be looking at a new prop shaft, shaft coupling, rubber connector and a few other etceteras.
Yes, and removing the shaft often means removing the rudder, which includes disassembling all the steering gear and lifting the boat up. That could become pretty time consuming in itself.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
At first blush, it sounded like a lot of time. But breaking it down as follows maybe not a lot of waste.
First it would require 2 workers to get the prop shaft and strut off the boat and reinstalled.
2 workers at 6 hours a day say 3.5 days that is 42 hours. The work on the shaft and coupler will be mechanical shop time at least 3 hours. That leaves about 8 hours if something goes wrong, then there is the fiberglass plus fairing work and bottom painting to do. Will there be a supervisor checking the workers being sure they install the PSS correctly this time? Important that they replace the set screws with new ones on the PSS collar.

It is not like the auto shop that has a book of hours it takes to do a specific job that they use for estimating a job.

Good luck. Stick around the yard and observe the job. Maybe you’ll get into the work and think I can do that. :banghead:

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The time estimate is not out of the ball park, although it may be a little high. Is this a time and materials job or a single quote. Especially if the latter, they don't want to get burned and they would rather the final cost come in lower than the estimate, customers are happier that way.

While they are there. Replace the coupling with a split coupling. It will make the next job easier. They also don't mention fitting and facing the shaft and coupling.Don't be surprised if a new shaft is needed.