12 V aux outlet aka lighter shorts out appliances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
MacGregor 25 Rock Hall, MD
12 V aux outlet aka lighter shorts out appliances -UPDATE

Recently, I installed a 12V outlet for auxiliary plugs (ipod and phone chargers, GPS, etc.). It came with an electric lighter that doubles up as a night light. The lighter and night light work great, but when I plug other stuff (mentioned above), they either don't work or blow internal fuses. The outlet I installed state specifically that it's for use with 12 volt devices. Any idea why it's doing it???

Last edited:

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
Also make sure the wiring to the plug is adequate.
I used what was provided with the outlet. NONE of the 12v appliances work... and I think the lighter draws more power and more amps then a GPS.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
If the polarity was reversed, then the lighter/night light wouldn't work, would it?
These are resistive non polarity sensitive devices. Cell phones etc. ARE polarity sensitive. The center / tip is RED/+ and the side contacts / socket barel are black/-.. If you have it reversed you will FRY polarity sensitive devices..

Jan 10, 2009
PDQ 32 Deale, MD
These are resistive non polarity sensitive devices. Cell phones etc. ARE polarity sensitive. The center / tip is RED/+ and the side contacts / socket barel are black/-.. If you have it reversed you will FRY polarity sensitive devices..
Careful... You're using big words.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
i'll double check. thanks.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
As it turned out, it was the reversed polarity. Thanks all for your help!!

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Always remember rule #1

The last thing you mucked with is the first thing to mess up.

Status
Not open for further replies.