12" high cooler for under cockpit floor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

proto57

I was looking for a cooler short enough to slide away under the cockpit floor, but still long and wide enough to be useful. It looks like 12" high would be the limit, and most Igloo and Colman coolers are taller than that. If they are short enough, then they are tiny "lunchbox" or "six-pack" affairs. Anyone know a make and model cooler which fits? If I can't find one, I may make one from a couple of Tupperware-type plastic storage containers, and expanding foam. But that would not be strong enough to act as a step. Thanks, Rich.

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Starboard and expanding foam -

Rich - Consider building a cooler from starboard. Its high density polyethylene in board form. You can work with it as though it were plywood, and its impervious to weather and UV resistant. I would build a box out of the stuff, build another inside it, and will the void with insulating foam. When you seal the inner bx, be sure to use a lot of acetone where you will be using sealant because poly resists being stuck to. (don't we all?) Justin - O'day Owners' Web

R

Rob

"Soft" cooler

I've had good luck with a collapsible cooler. Sorry, I can't remember the brand, but it is insulated, soft plastic, blue-green in color, has velcro and zipper fastenings and a liner to keep ice separate from the cooling area. It has a carrying strap and mounting aggangements. It is cube shaped about 12x12x12. Just fits under the cockpit. Two would be ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.