110VAC Outlets

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
That's an interesting analogy, but not literally (electrically) correct. But useful. If you install a GFCI receptacle as the first outlet in a branch it can protect the entire branch. The GFCI outlet has two pair of terminals in addition to the green-wire grounding terminal: line and load. The line terminals are connected to the white and black wires coming from the panel; the load terminals power downstream outlets.

(Just replying in case there's any confusion on this.)
View attachment 183593
Your diagram shows them series wired. Ron’s parallel wiring would have them all connected by the line side, in which case B &C are not protected by A. I’ve seen houses and boats wired both ways.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Your diagram shows them series wired.
But they are not series wired! All of the neutral (white, grounded) terminals are in parallel, and all of the hot (black, line) terminals are in parallel. A "series" of outlets in a branch circuit does not mean they are wired in series!

I can't imagine how you would wire multiple outlets to the line side of a GFCI outlet, since there are only two pair of screw terminals on the back, one for line side, the other for load; and, you shouldn't be putting two wires under a screw head. If you are feed multiple runs of wire from a single breaker in the panel, that's not a good idea, either. The question is, why would you do it? The instructions with the GFCI outlet are pretty clear about this, why would you do otherwise for less protection?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... ...and, you shouldn't be putting two wires under a screw head.
"Shouldn't be" is the key phrase here. My nephew has a beach place and could not make the master bath GFCI work. Good excuse for me for a trip to the beach ! Four bathrooms on three different levels were wired "in series". I suggested he get a licensed electrician, as I was not familiar with local codes.