110 electric system not working

Mar 9, 2017
Catalina 30 Ashtabula, Ohio
1990 Catalina30 trbs. Not getting 110volts to anything. Checked shore cable ok.checked all Gris. Could there be another fuse or gfi I am missing? What gives?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Unfamiliar with a C30 but all boats I am familiar with have a breaker very close to the shore power connection.

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
Did you check the boat end of the shore power cable?

some C-30s had a disconnect either in the sail locker (port side inlet) or in the lazarette (transom power inlet.) Because the main disconnect must be <=10’ and the nav sta breaker was pushing that “a little.”
She’s a mk-II?

Mar 9, 2017
Thanks for all the advice. I followed the wire from the shore connection to the panel and found no fuse or breaker. I do not have a volt meter to check to see if there is juice at the panel. I gave up so I called the man aka Southerland Marine. I will let you know the outcome.

May 7, 2011
Rule:
If you own a boat, especially a powerboat with sails, you must load up with plumbing carpentry electrical mechanic tools!!
A VOM is like 5 bucks at harbor freight and free if it happens to be on the weekly giveaway. There’s nothing more rewarding as troubleshooting boat problems yourself- and nothing more frustrating as well!!

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
I've had like five of those free meters. They don't last long, but free is free. Incidentally it seems HF has stopped the free item coupons. The last few flyers I've gotten from them had discount coupons, but no freebees.

May 7, 2011
Wow. I’m surprised. I’ve used two HF freebies for 10 yrs. I don’t rely on them for precision but they’re great for go, no-go stuff.
I guess it’s a box of chocolates like much of HF stuff. I hadn’t noticed the no freebies lately, but then again I’ve been avoiding most stores anyway these days.

May 7, 2011
I’m confused.
If you “checked the shore cable” and it’s ok, how do you know w/o a voltmeter to test that you have juice right AT the boat side inlet????

Mar 9, 2017
I used my shore cable on a friends boat and it worked fine so I assumed the cable was ok. The "man" from Southerland Marine came today and said there was no problem and everything was working fine. He thought maybe it was a loose connection at the boat. I connected the cable at least 5 times before and had no luck. I was not present when he went to the boat. I have owned the boat for 4 years and have connected the cable many times with no trouble. We slept on the boat the previous night running the air conditioner and tv all night with no problem. Getting ready to go home I checked for 110 and nothing. I must be cracking up under the strain. What strain?

May 7, 2011
Jb
Sometimes those things just happen
to fix themselves. It’s a boat!
Someone playing tricks with the pedestal breaker?

Mar 9, 2017
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm on my way to HF to buy the volt meter. I will now become an official "sparky".