11 meter S2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2004
Catalina 30mkIII Elk Rapids, MI.
Hello S2 owners; Please be kind to this poor Catalina owner;-)) I help my boat storage and hauling facility launch sailboats in our area. Last year when hauling out a 11m S2, the mast was very difficult to remove. The previous facility had used 3M 5200 to caulk the mast to the deck! There was some damage to the red rubber "doughnut" that cushions the mast at the deck pass through. Is there a source for the red rubber donut (or what ever it is called) that is in the deck pass through for this boat? I have recommended to the owner to use a universal mast boot to help waterproof the pass through. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help. Fair winds Dave

R

Rick

Red rubber donut

Tiara/S2 no longer makes the donut. They had some as late as 2003-4 according to folks on the S2 9.1 class association website. From what I understand, the red rubber is some type of silicone - and you can find it if you look for a "rubber distributor" in your local area. Note that the red rubber donut not only keeps the water out, but is actually your mast partner. So you can't do without it. You need something to replace it - some of the S2 9.1 folks have tried to use spartite which is an expoxy system for developing a custom mast partner. How bad is the rubber partner damaged? I have some damage on mine, but not too bad - i do plan on looking for some replacemnet silicone rubber to use as a replacement. Rick S2 27

Jun 4, 2004
Catalina 30mkIII Elk Rapids, MI.
Thanks

Hi Rick; Thanks for the response. I suspected that it would not be available. We were able to save the "donut" for the most part, mostly just surface damage. It will still act as a mast partner or support, but will not be as waterproof as a undamaged one. That is why I suggested a universal mast boot to cover the whole thing when assembled. I recommended that they use silicone to complete the seal. Does all that sound reasonable? thanks Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.