11.0a battery replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2011
Hi all, I'm looking to upgrade my house bank to 4 6v batteries. I plan to keep a single 12v as a start battery. The problem I'm seeing is space to house all this lead.

What type of setup do you have and how is it positioned?

Currently we have a pair of group 27s under the stairs. The 6v box I'm looking at measures (max) 22 3/8" (L) x 15 1/2" (W) x
12 7/8" (H). Then a box for the 12v too.

Interested how or if others have done this.

Thanks!
SC

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
4 six volts under the stairs in two banks. I put a 12V start batt under the floor of the cockpit locker. There's a little shelf in there that I think was used for the potable water pump. I put a new diaphram pump on the stringer and a batt box and batt just fits on the little shelf. I wired it into the common of the batt switch through an on/off sw. Not very scientific and things have to be manually managed. And yes my plotter etc reboots on engine starts.....for now

Sep 6, 2011
Hey Mark, thanks for the reply. Are you referring to the port locker or aft behind the wheel? If to port we have a spare natural gas tank under there and a spare anchor used as a stern anchor if needed.
SC

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
ya I meant port locker. My stern anchor is a Danforth and I mounted it on the stern pulpit. I don't have nat gas but I put a propane locker inside the port locker and moved it outboard and fwd as far as possible. Routed a vent line down beside the cockpit drain on the hull about 5' above the waterline. My hot water tank is also underneath the port locker floor...

Sep 6, 2011
ya I meant port locker. My stern anchor is a Danforth and I mounted it on the stern pulpit. I don't have nat gas but I put a propane locker inside the port locker and moved it outboard and fwd as far as possible. Routed a vent line down beside the cockpit drain on the hull about 5' above the waterline. My hot water tank is also underneath the port locker floor...
That's a busy locker! I will eventually buy a mount for the stern anchor mount (also a danforth) but not this year. Right now focused on the power situation. No hot water tank for us. It is on demand and has issues right now. Thanks for letting me know. I will be face down this weekend getting everything set up.
SC

Sep 29, 2011
S2 11.0A Kinsale
I have a battery shelf on each side under cockpit. I have (1) 12v starting battery on the starboard and (2) 27 group batteries on the port, and another dedicated deep cycle battery for the refrigeration. That battery is forward near the waste tank. All are tucked away and out of the way but are also accessible.

Patrick
S2 11.0a

Sep 6, 2011
If you two would be willing to post a photo (around the engine compartment and port locker I'd be grateful. I've got the 6v bank situated I think but always look to see if others have better ideas as they often do!
SC

Jan 13, 2013
S2 11.0C Deale, MD
I have a 11.0c and one bank is directly under the galley sink. The other is under the port settee directly adjacent to the galley. Short runs to the engine compartment. Not sure if this would work on the 11.0a.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Oh crap. I shouldn't tell you this. I equalized batts this last wknd and everything was pulled out..... I'll try and remember this weekend.....

Sep 6, 2011
No worries Mark. I have in and bought an extra group 29 so I could still sail until I get all the pieces together. I'm still waiting on a few things so it isn't a big hurry. I'll just figure out where to add this extra battery into the mix.
SC

Sep 6, 2011
Thanks Mark! Worked great. I think we will have to find or fabricate something for the locker battery or possibly 2. This is my first project of this type so all advice and pics are appreciated.
SC

Status
Not open for further replies.