11.0A autopilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2011
S2 11.0A Kinsale
I was wondering what autopilot systems 11.0 owners are using.
I have a Simrad NSS chartplotter but the Simrad autopilot systems are quite expensive. Looking at a Raymarine X5 but the 11a may exceed the max displacement requirements.

Any

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Good question. The good and expensive pilots need to have an actuator mount glassed into the hull etc etc. Very expensive labor wise to have installed. I think I estimated around $6K parts/labor. I'm leaning towards the X-5 and I know it's pushing the limits. However, my usage of an autopilot is basically for long motoring periods which shouldn't be an issue with it. And, you can get the pkg for about $1200. I also discussed with the Raymarine rep and he stated it would also work while under sail but recommended keeping the boat balanced. The only other wheel pilot is the CPT which has high marks, however, it cannot be interfaced with other electronics and you don't know future of that company. (my thoughts). If I go the X-5 route, it'll be in Feb/Mar after the Seattle boat show. I can talk Raymarine out of some rebate vouchers....

Sep 29, 2011
S2 11.0A Kinsale
Mark, I have received mixed opinions on if the Raymarine X5 will work but I am going give it a try as I also don't want to spend $6k for a hydraulic or electric linear drive unit.
Last year, I purchased all new Simrad instruments and a NSS7 chartplotter but I have recently changed out and replaced with Raymarine ST60 + and C90W chart plotter, and installing a sea talk network. This will be a plug-play for the X5. Selling most of the my newly Simrad and replacing with Raymarine cost more but not nearly as much if I want with any of the Simrad autopilots.

I figure that I will use it mostly when I am motoring for long distances, specially leaving in the morning or at night where there is not much wind, and when sailing in a light breeze. I would assume our S2's are near 17,000 lbs near full laden displacement and the X5 (rated for 16,500 lbs) would have a hard time keeping course when there is a strong current and breeze. Which I am okay with, if the wind picks up, I would rather be at the helm, controlling the trim and weatherhelm.

Status
Not open for further replies.