1000 mile ocean passage

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CO Editorial

What kind of changes would you make to your boat before embarking on a 1000 mile ocean passage? Are you ready to go; would you need to do nothing? Would you add gear like backup GPS, life raft, weather fax, SSB, etc? Would make structural improvements to your boat to improve its seaworthiness? Or would you not go at all?

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Forget about it!

My old 27 wouldn't make it down river!!! Well, that's an exaggeration but I wouldn't take my boat on that kind of ocean journey. I bought her as a river boat with no intention of seeing bluewater & that's the way it's gonna stay - SCARY! BTW, I have made journeys like that so am pretty familiar with the beating the boat takes. I just couldn't put my poor baby through something like that! :) LaDonna

D

Dan Smith

I'd be interested in trying

This topic is rather qualified. I would not sail the my boat on 1000 nm in other than an area of reliable weather and sea (this leaves the Tasman sea out of the question) My boat is a Catalina 42 MK II, and I know or have heard of more that a few boats making it to Hawaii and Tahiti; so it can be done. I have followed Moonspun in its prep for a circle pacific cruise and have done the following to enable a 1000to 1200 range. 1. replaced stock sail tracks and guides 2. added mast winch, heavy duty whisker pole 3.added gennaker and 90 blade 4.added watermaker-8gph dc 5. added 125ah alternator, and an AGM battery 700ah bank 6. instaled an additional 140 gallons of fuel (stock 38 gal) with a 3 filter system 7.EPIRB with dye markers 8.SSB radio with spare antenna and modem for receiving weather fax and E mail 9. reinforced foward bulkhead to produce a water tight bulkhead 10. added bolts to backup screwed parts. 11. Auto pilot 12. Auto-prop 13. 12' sea anchor with 500' of3/4" 14. Dual GPS- (one a chart ploter) 4kw radar, dual VHF (submersible),Sextant 15 dual bilge pumps, and engine driven 1 16. spare parts for Engine, rigging, electric, plumbing and damage controlore 17. Canister offshore raft with suplies in addition to a foward secured 10' RIB (secured to pad eyes not lashed to rails) That is what I have done...comments? I got my boat to go places not putt around the bay. Yes risk rises when you leave your home port... but risk can be managed to an extent.Your skill with good gear and careful thought and knowlwdge should enable any boat and sailor to go farther than many think they can. Dan REUNION hull 533 Dan

B

Bob Camarena

Not in My Boat

Not in my C-30. It's a great boat, but not designed for passage-making. I know, it's been done, but there are better choices. On the other hand, you'd be hard pressed to find a better boat for sailing the SF Bay Delta region.

R

Richard

I todally agree with bob's post

I sail san francisco bay in a catalina 30 (used to be a 27 but I upgraded finally) and we see conditions of 20+ knots on an average summer day. The boat takes it just fine, but toss in 5 to 10 foot seas and it starts to handle like a beamy pig. Catalinas are nice boats, but after all just mass produced low end price range boats. You could likely do worse with a hunter, but not much. If you feel lucky then go for it. If I am going offshore then give me a Westsail, hans christian, etc!

B

Bob Robeson

I'd do it

I have a C-36 and have been getting it ready for some extended cruising. From Portland Or. to San Fransico. Close to 1000 miles one way. But it is coatal, and we will put into port daily. 2 days at the most. Yes back GPS, Batteries, and new standing rigging and new sails, all new lines, new fuel tank, all new electronics with backup speed and depth. On board computer, navigation software and paper charts. 2 VFH radios, cell phones and CBs. A very well maintained boat should be ready to go. File a good float plan. Bob

P

Pete Thomas

1000 Ocean Miles in a Catalina?

I don't believe a Catalina is safe for serious blue water sailing. Their great for local cruising. They're very comfortable, but basically a floating RV.

T

the Pirate of Sha-lin

mille bourne

I don't think I'd take my 23-yr-old C-22 on a 1000 mile ocean voyage, but I might try 1000 miles of coastal cruising. The boat is in pretty good shape, but I'd have it surveyed before I left. I'm already set for over a week of cruising. but I'd have to add some more safety gear: a life-line and halter is one thing. This sounds more and more interesting, the more I think about it. Maybe I'll start with a one month cruise to find out what else I'd need.

M

Michael Yorke e-mail to mikey4@idt.net

1000 sea miles in a Catalina

Depends on the model, I guess. I've done it in mine (42) and I'd do it again. My 42 is a fine sea boat. Michael Yorke Port Washington, Long Island, New York

C

CO Editorial

Final tally

Final quiz results: Before making 1000 mile voyage would you: 52% Add gear (102) 25% Make structural changes (50) 20% Not go (40) 03% Do nothing (5)

J

Jason Brown

Considering Catalina

I am considering the new 310. A step up from my current Hunter 22. It's interesting to read your notes regarding blue-water voyaging. The hunter does OK, but I never go further than 100-200nm from home in it, coastal of coarse. (as close to shore as possible) I'm interested in something that could get me out a little further. Some of you say yes and others no. I know no-one has been out on the 310, it's new, anything on the 320 or 30?

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Jason Brown

I'm a firm believer that Hunters and Catalinas are not blue water vessels. They were designed & built to be coastal cruisers, which they excel at. As I've stated on numerous occasions, I know that there are boats of both brands that have done it but that doesn't mean it should be done. I suppose it depends on how far out you mean by "a little farther". You're in Florida, right? I think you'd be ok in a 310 IF you had a constant eye on weather & sea state if you were heading to the Caribbean. Going to England? Pick another boat! LaDonna

Status
Not open for further replies.