100:1 Pre-Mix Oil for All 2-stroke Outboards

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Amsoil has an oil that they say works in outboards at 100:1 "regardless of the mix ratio specified for the equipment."

Has anyone tried this? I would be up for it, but I don't want to ruin my motors.

Outboard 100:1 Pre-Mix Synthetic 2-Stroke Oil

Right now I mix 10 oz. of oil with 4 gallons of gas, so it's 51.2:1. With this new stuff I'd probably run 5 oz. to 4 gallons, so 102.4:1. I figure the difference from 50:1 and 100:1 is within the specification tolerance.

I currently get plenty of smoke at times, it would be nice to eliminate that.

Thoughts?

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
I'd like to try that on my aging 5hp Tohatsu. It is listed as a pre-mix so I'm sure they don't expect someone to use it in their 25000.00 (??) Verado, which of course would mix it at the appropriate schedule anyway.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Amsoil has an oil that they say works in outboards at 100:1 "regardless of the mix ratio specified for the equipment."

Has anyone tried this? I would be up for it, but I don't want to ruin my motors.

Outboard 100:1 Pre-Mix Synthetic 2-Stroke Oil

Right now I mix 10 oz. of oil with 4 gallons of gas, so it's 51.2:1. With this new stuff I'd probably run 5 oz. to 4 gallons, so 102.4:1. I figure the difference from 50:1 and 100:1 is within the specification tolerance.

I currently get plenty of smoke at times, it would be nice to eliminate that.

Thoughts?
Been using it for 15+ years in all my 50:1 pre-mix engines.. Less smoke, excellent idle, rarely if ever replace plugs, less gummy gunk in the carb etc.. I will never go back to using anything but this product in my pre-mix outboards.. This is the only Amsoil product I use, but it really works.

That said I have tried their "Interceptor Oil" on our snowmobiles, for oil injection, and found it not as good as the Ski-Doo/Rotax/BRP synthetic two stroke oil. Amsoil was actually less money, not usually the case, but the RAVE vales gummed up quicker than with the OEM synthetic oil..

Last edited:
Feb 6, 1998
I order it from my local Amsoil dealer, by the case, and he delivers it to our shop. My local NAPA used to stock it, but no longer do...

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I order it from my local Amsoil dealer, by the case, and he delivers it to our shop. My local NAPA used to stock it, but no longer do...
Thanks, yes, I see I can get free shipping for an order of $100 or more, but I can't find a local retailer who carries it.

Feb 6, 1998
Thanks, yes, I see I can get free shipping for an order of $100 or more, but I can't find a local retailer who carries it.
Punch your zip code into the dealer locator on Amsoil....

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Punch your zip code into the dealer locator on Amsoil....
I did. You have to dig into the dealers to see if they carry that specific product; none near me do. I may have to just buy $100 worth, which is more than a lifetime supply for me, probably. Maybe I can distribute it to some local guys.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Trying to learn something new each day so interested in a little explaining if you have the patience.
I get that less oil in the gasoline means less smoke, residue, gunk problems but don’t understand how that big a ratio difference 100:1 vs 50:1 can provide adequate lubrication. Is it because the “synthetic” oil has the ability to maintain its “state” under the stresses that much better than “natural” oil?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I imagine it is because it's a synthetic specifically formulated for this purpose at this mix ratio. Read the stuff at the link I posted above.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I've read a number of documents from "experts" as well as manufacturers that state that 100:1 is ok for many applications. Most of those OEM documents where well over 30 years old. Oil has improved a lot since then!

I'm not sure if they do this for marine products but for automotive applications there's an oil rating on the back. The higher the letter, the better the oil. Sometimes the cheaper stuff is better

Feb 6, 1998
I did. You have to dig into the dealers to see if they carry that specific product; none near me do. I may have to just buy $100 worth, which is more than a lifetime supply for me, probably. Maybe I can distribute it to some local guys.
Your distributor can bring it in...

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
So in other words the metal in older engines isn't as tough as newer ones?
I wouldn't try to boil it down to just one parameter, but more specialized, longer wearing alloys have emerged for various purposes: rings, bearings, etc. Casting technology has improved. And so on.

Feb 6, 1998
The lobsterman / customer of ours who turned me onto this stuff was running an early 1960's Johnson on his work "punt" (beater skiff to the rest of us) a beat-to-piss old tri-hull of about 13'. When I commented it was good to see an older engine running so well, even being so beat on, he went on and on and on about the Amsoil 100:1. As far as I know that outboard is still going strong. I run it in my 1996 Johnson 40HP on the work skiff (VRO/Injection long since removed) and we beat the snot out of that boat often running WOT out to Chebeage Island, Long Island or Peaks Island or even down to Portland. That old Johnson 40, my Tohatsu 9.8 (1998) and my Johnson 4HP (1989) all run like a top and far better than they did at 50:1..

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I managed to pick some of this stuff up at the boat show for $10/quart cash. If you're planning on going to a show near you it might be worth asking the Amsoil dealer if he's running any show specials

Feb 1, 2013
Pearson Wanderer Chesapeake
I have a 50year old British Seagull that calls for a 10 to 1 mix. Is it possible i could use this 100 to 1 stuff?

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I owned an outdoor power equipment business for 31 years, so most of my experience is with small air cooled, high rpm equipment, not outboards. that being said..... I sold Optimol products ( 2 cycle oil ) in my own shop, which is a high ratio, high quality oil, much like the Amsoil is targeted at. I sold Stihl and Husqvarna saws to the local loggers and many of them used the Opti oil from day one after purchase with phenomenal results. it was once typical for Pro loggers to trade in or scrap a saw within 2-3 years at best, but with the Opti they were easily doubling that.
The only place I saw any problems was when a customer would switch from 32;1 or 40:1 to the Opti on an old tired piece of equipment, against my (and the factory reps) recommendation. Problems could arise from the normal carbon that had built up in the cylinder head, and on the piston top, with the rich mixes. when they switched to the lean mix that hard carbon started breaking loose and plugging mufflers/spark arrestor screens etc, and in a couple cases actually scoring cylinders.
Cool running water cooled, and low RPM, 2 cycle outboards don't have anywhere near the tight tolerances of high quality saws so it's almost an apples and oranges comparison. but it's my humble opinion that outboards need more than even the best 100:1 mix oil can provide to survive. I own two later model 4hp 2 cycle Johnson outboards and will not be switching from the quality 50:1 that I use now.
As an aside: when I owned my shop I constantly had customers try to convince me of their rational for using the cheapest 2 stroke oil they could find at x-mart. "oil is oil. what difference does it make" being the typical argument. well it's NOT just the base oil that matters. it's the additives that are in the oil that determine it's protection qualities. it's my opinion that the most expensive oil out there is still the least expensive way to extend the usefull life of an engine. not only will a high quality 50:1 protect the engine, but it will smoke less and run cleaner/stronger than a lower quality oil as well :)

Just my .02 from a tired old grease monkey

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Thanks for your reply, @RussC . I now have mixed feelings about the Amsoil 100:1, as I'm switching from conventional oil at 50:1 in a 24 year old motor, a 15HP s-stroke Merc.

Used it for the first time this weekend. It still smokes some, my son thought more than before. He also thought he heard a "ringing" sound at high speed, e.g., when running on a plane.

Not sure any of this is related. Also, I mixed this in the Fall, with fresh CAM-10 100 octane racing fuel (no alcohol). I think we gave the tank a good shake, but it's been sitting in the garage all winter. Don't know what would happen; does oil settle out over time, or stay mixed?

Thanks,

jv