01' Hunter 340 W/Yanmar 30gm30F re- propping

Jan 21, 2016
Hunter 340 City Island, NY
I'm a new Hunter 340 owner.
Not to start a big discussion , but trying to read all these threads to find one person Happy with their new prop for this boat/engine/trans set up is difficult at best, maybe I'm not savvy enough to conduct a proper search but here goes......
The stock fixed prop is a 2 blade martec 16/12 RH has very little umph, particularly in reverse, and has a bad vibration at about 2800, which is basic cruising speed.
Set up;
Yanmar 3gm30F, 1 :2.62 gear
Can Anyone recommend a 3 blade prop size and pitch they have had a good experience with?
I'm considering a FlexoFold, So as not to catch the thousands of lobster pots in the Long Island Sound to Nantucket neck of the woods . Flexofold recommends a 3B 16 x 11.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
A few years back (2005) I replaced the original, factory installed 2 blade, 16 X 13 X 1 prop on my 2000 H340 with a 3 blade RH Campbell Sailor 15 X 9 X 1. The new prop got rid of some mid-range vibration I had with the 2 blade (like you) and gives me plenty of thrust into head winds and when towing my dink. My boat with the Yanmar 3GM30F cruises at 6.5 - 7 knots at around 2,800 RPM and I can run it up above 3K+ with no smoke and I have no transom soot at the end of the season. I had also put a CS 3 blade on my previous boat (1980 H30) with a Yanmar 2QM15 and was very happy with the perfomance. I don't race but the stats say that there is much less drag with the low profile cupped blades on the CS props.
I would suggest that you take a look at the discussion on the Cherubini Hunter owners forum from November 2015 with lots of folks chatting about this prop. MailSail, the forum modrator has some good thing to say about it.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
In general, a 3 blade should have less vibration than a 2.
If trying to shed pot lines, then a folder is better, but at a cost in reverse power, and some loss of efficiency going forward.
Our best combination of sailing speed AND reverse under power was with a feathering prop. If you go with a Martec Autostream featherer, the blades also are raked aft a few degrees, and that might slightly help shed a line.

Lots of compromises no matter what blade and hub options you choose. All have advantages and none are perfect for every boat. We have used, over 20 seasons, a two blade fixed, two blade feathering, and currently a three blade fixed. The current one has the most torque under power, moderate prop walk astern, and pronounced drag under sail....
No "wrong" answers.... just what works for your boat and your style of sailing.
:)

Jan 21, 2016
In general, a 3 blade should have less vibration than a 2.
If trying to shed pot lines, then a folder is better, but at a cost in reverse power, and some loss of efficiency going forward.
Our best combination of sailing speed AND reverse under power was with a feathering prop. If you go with a Martec Autostream featherer, the blades also are raked aft a few degrees, and that might slightly help shed a line.

Lots of compromises no matter what blade and hub options you choose. All have advantages and none are perfect for every boat. We have used, over 20 seasons, a two blade fixed, two blade feathering, and currently a three blade fixed. The current one has the most torque under power, moderate prop walk astern, and pronounced drag under sail....
No "wrong" answers.... just what works for your boat and your style of sailing.
:)
Much obliged for your time.
Had a max prop on my last boat , hauled it 3 times to get the pitch right.. and the new ones are Grooooosly expensive for a "easy" pitch change prop about $4K.
Flexofold 3 blade got very high scores in the Yachting comparison, is reasonable at $2K.... but the blades are fixed, you get the size and pitch wrong by one unit, you're screwed and you're stuck with it. Better to see who has had success with what prop, makes choosing more well informed.

Jul 29, 2004
Hunter 340 Lake Lanier, GA
If you go with MaxProp 16 in 3 blade, our settings are now "EH" for an 18 deg pitch. Original owner tried Autoprop and after a year pulled it off for the MaxProp, which has now been on the boat for 15 years. PO had set it originally for 20 deg pitch, put I changed to 18 deg to get to full RPM. No experience with Flexofold but I really like this MaxProp.

Jan 21, 2016
Ed…..Super accurate information---exactly the help I was looking for..
Does your hunter have a 1 : 2.62 gear?

Thanks for your time.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
KiwiProp 3 blade is smooth and powerful. You can adjust the pitch angle with just an Allen key and snorkel.