The boat show must go on

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Are you getting your boat show on this year? Is it something you do every year, every now and then, or do they not interest you?

Are they as good as they used to be, or do you think they're smaller -- and different -- than they were 10 years ago?

Share your plans -- and organize meet-ups -- right here!

show.jpg

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
We went to the show in Boston last week. I didn't think it was that great. A ton of boats, mainly power. Not a lot of vendors as compared to previous years.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I haven't been to a boat show in years, but I would love to. It's just not a priority for the people I hang out with the most.

Last time I went to one, I bought a Hobie Cat 18. I had years of fun with that boat.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 14, 2019
Tartan 34c Toms River
Boat shows have grown more power oriented over the years. Unless they are a stictly sail, sailboats seem to be a forgotten part of the industry.
I exhibited as a parts vender and then recently helping a broker. In NYC and Atlantic City.
Truth be told sailboats are a small part of the industry.
That said I will go as a customer again this year, I just enjoy it.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
She said it was right around her birthday. A win win proposition!
My wife calls that a "Teddy bear gift". When she was a little girl, she gave her father a Teddy bear for his birthday, then selflessly offered to keep it in her room for him.
:biggrin:

-Will (Dragonfly)

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I hit the Annapolis sailboat show every year. I find it useful mainly for meeting vendors and picking up various parts for my boat. Some years there have been second hand sailboats on the docks for sale, but that's not always the case. The past couple years, members from SBO have met there, that's a great improvement!

dj

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I only attend if there is something major that I am interested in purchasing. But if i am free, sometimes I will go with other sailing friends just to look. At this point I am not interested in boats. I only go to see the accessories.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
We went to the Chicago boat show this year. We had a blast. Lots of cool boats and gadgets to look at. We attended three or four seminars. The one offered by the the Great Loop Cruisers Association was the most interesting. The docking seminar at Progressive's booth was the most useful and practical. We also got some free stuff

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
last boat show i attended was New York show about two years ago. Every year I seem to be more and more disappointed. Most of the shows I've attended the past five or so years all seem to have the same theme. They are jet ski & outboard motor shows. Mostly small run about power boats and ski boats about 18-24 foot. Very few larger boats maybe ten or fifteen in the 25-35 foot range and three or four 40-55 foot. Almost all power boats, power boats were the dominant boats showing. I believe there may have been two or three sailboaters if that.

I remember back in the 1980's the New York boat show was massive and took up almost the entire complex. You could walk the entire show over an eight hour span and still not be able to see everything. Now you can walk the entire show in about an hour or so. The shows of today are in my view only one quarter of the size of years past. I don't think boat manufactures and vendors get much out of the shows today and therefore don't invest much into them.

Back in the 1980's I new a lot of boaters that bought boats at the shows.
I used to always go home after a boat show a little lighter in my pockets.

I attended the Indianapolis in water sail boat show a few years ago and found it to have obviously more sail boats then others, however a large showing of the the larger boats 40 foot and up were used boats being shown by brokers.
Very disappointing from years ago. I think it's just I sign of today's time.

I miss the days of going on big boats or smaller boats for that matter and seeing all the new innovative things being incorporated into the newer designs.
It was nice to play around with all the gear and gadgets in the vendor both areas that seemed to be endless.

Who knows maybe in the near future everyone will be buying a boat on line like carvana or Amazon and getting it delivered to our doorstep.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
I have been to every Chicago (Sail)Boat Show since 2007. It was amazing when it was Strictly Sail at Navy Pier. Since moving to McCormick Place and being combined with the power boat and RV show, a strange clash of cultures itself, the sail portion of the exhibition seems smaller each year. That said, I still go every year, tour a few sailboats (There are fewer each year.), visit the vendor booths (Also fewer this year.), and usually find a few seminars of interest. I actually went to seven different seminars over two days this year, all of which were pretty good.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Since 2015, when SV Hadley came into my life, I have visited several shows. They have proven to be good places to meet sailors (including a number of SBO members), attend informative classes, find parts and systems to upgrade my boat, and get ideas some that get discarded and others that provide solutions.

So far, I have attended the Seattle WA, Annapolis MD, and Vancouver Canada Boat shows. In some ways they are very similar, in others they are distinctively unique. While the west coast shows blended Sail and Power boats and displays, the Annapolis show was Sail only.

If you're really looking for a boat, or want to educate yourself about boating, you need to spend more than a single day visit.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Aren't sunglasses part of the free SWAG? They should offer them right at the entrance.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Whew! I can probably behave that long!
We are just looking forward to being immersed in the sailboat experience. We are landlocked and shows are non existent.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Last boat show I attended was in San Diego. Unfortunatley it was all power boats. Had some high end sailboats in the slips but that was it. Nothing like in the 80's in Long Beach Convention Center that was FULL of sailboats. Those days are gone.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I’ve gone to the Annapolis show a few years in a row now. I usually don’t have any plans on buying anything, but it’s fun to walk around and see new design trends.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
When is the 1st Annual International Sailboat Owner's Sailboat Show happening? I hear it is suppose to be in Rockland Maine? Does that sound right? Beautiful traditional maritime venue and not too far to drive. :yeah:

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I want to go for the SWAG and see the boat babes. Note to self: get dark sunglasses :biggrin:
I used to go to the Fall Annapolis show on Thursdays. It was the VIP day or whatever the hell they call it. It cost more money, but I always figured it would have swag and not be as crowded. I have since learned that there is no swag, it gets plenty crowded, and now I can't see the reason to go. Maybe I'll take off on a Friday, but I'll be damned if I go on a weekend...

I'm disappointed by the show anymore, because there isn't a whole lot for a person like me: pretty much abandoned by the industry and the smaller boat market. Even Precision has stopped building sub-24' boats. Not that I could afford even a brand new Precision 23. I'll probably just stick with my O'day 192 and building my own small boats from now on.

Oh, and also, I don't see "boat babes" at the Annapolis show. Maybe you have to go to the Miami power boat show for bikinis. I don't even recall seeing any boat babes at the winter Atlantic City powerboat show. Occasionally at the Annapolis show I'd see very attractive sales ladies in white capris and polo shirts, but I wasn't going to go tour their 65' Jeanneaus or whatevers anyway.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
When is the 1st Annual International Sailboat Owner's Sailboat Show happening? I hear it is suppose to be in Rockland Maine? Does that sound right? Beautiful traditional maritime venue and not too far to drive. :yeah:

-Will (Dragonfly)
Kinda far for those on the West coast, or in Denmark or.... (you did say international...) :huh:

dj