NYC to Chicago on a sailboat (mast removed of course)

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 419 Milwaukee
Hi all.
IF YOU ACTUALLY took the trip, I'd like to know which route you used and what are your thoughts.
(The great loop forum isn't that helpful for sailboats and the routes aren't clearly outlined)

Thx!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The route is pretty straight forward once you get to the Lake Erie.

To get to Lake Erie there are 2 options, Erie Canal to the Oswego Canal to Lake Ontario to the Welland Canal to Lake Erie, or

Erie Canal to Lake Erie.

Each has its advantages. I have done the whole length of the Erie Canal and the NYC to Lake Ontario once each way and a few other stretches along the Erie Canal.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I'd consider draft as the limiting factor. If water is too skinny in the canal for your boat, then St. Lawrence River ...

Jan 11, 2014
Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
There are other routes… NY up the Hudson to the Champlain Canal, cross Lake Champlain to the Richelieu river, the Richelieu Canal to the St-Lawrence. Raise mast. Up the St-Lawrence to Lake Ontario… two choices here: a) lower mast take the Trent-Severn to the bottom of Georgian bay, raise mast, sail to the north channel go by Mackinac island & south to Chicago using either side of lakeMichigan. b) keep mast up, sail to St-Catherine, go up the Welland (7 locks) to Erie, st-Clair, Huron & Michigan.
Done those and the Erie Canal… I prefer doing the lakes to the canals: the mast is up and you can sail… it’s longer but if getting there is the principal objective… have the boat shipped & take a plane.
I’ve also done from Martha’s Vineyard to Halifax, crossed at Canso, sailed to the Magdalen islands Gaspé and up the St-Lawrence… but that’s really longer and against prevailing winds & currents. If you are going from Milwaukee to NYC I’d do the St-Lawrence, turn right at Gaspé, Canso, stop at Halifax, from there to NYC. ( strait or coastal New England).

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Time constraints are the biggest issue. The fastest route is to take the Erie Canal from the Hudson River to Lake Erie. That will take about 8-10 days of motoring and is mostly not weather dependent. The Erie Canal-Oswego Canal-Lake Ontario route will can take much longer due to weather and transiting the Welland Canal, however there is more sailing, maybe, depending on the weather.

Sign up for the Notice to Mariners from the Canal Authority and read the website, lots of good information, see link below.

Let me know when you are going down the canal as it passes within a few miles of where I live. I may be able to stop by and say hello.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have the book at home. It’s specifically talked about sailboats. It even said where you could go to get your mast taken down and where you could put it back up

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
The route is pretty straight forward once you get to the Lake Erie.

To get to Lake Erie there are 2 options, Erie Canal to the Oswego Canal to Lake Ontario to the Welland Canal to Lake Erie, or

Erie Canal to Lake Erie.

Each has its advantages. I have done the whole length of the Erie Canal and the NYC to Lake Ontario once each way and a few other stretches along the Erie Canal.
nice!
How long did it take you from NYC to Lake Michigan?

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
Let me know when you are going down the canal as it passes within a few miles of where I live. I may be able to stop by and say hello.
will certainly do!!!!
probably / hopefully beginning of June

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
If you are going from Milwaukee to NYC I’d do the St-Lawrence, turn right at Gaspé, Canso, stop at Halifax, from there to NYC. ( strait or coastal New England).
thx for the input!
I am actually going from NYC to Milwaukee, if direction matters.
I am afraid going all the way up to st Lawrence would be too long.
And I can't afford to truck a 42' boat :)

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
looking at a map it seems Canal Erie is in fact the Tomahawk river, right?...

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I watched a you tuber who was bumping the bottom with 6' draft. I think he was on the Mohawk when he was touching bottom. To be sure, he never got stuck. But, I still wonder what is the draft limitation along that route and how large a sailboat is feasible?

Jan 11, 2014
I watched a you tuber who was bumping the bottom with 6' draft. I think he was on the Mohawk when he was touching bottom. To be sure, he never got stuck. But, I still wonder what is the draft limitation along that route and how large a sailboat is feasible?
The controlling depth is 10 or more feet, however, the depth will also vary due to rainfall and dredging operations.There are known places where shoaling occurs and staying in the middle of the channel is advised. In the link I posted earlier, those places are identified with links to the soundings.