Looking at a 81 cherubini 30

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
Hey everyone, tomorrow I will go look at what I’m told is a 1981 cherubini 30 shoal draft, what I don’t get is it has 2 retracting fins, one on either sides, I looked everywhere on the web and can’t find anything like it anywhere

the interim seems to have been redone by the po.
Anything I should be looking out for?
The boat has teak decks

Attachments

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Try looking up 'Bilge boards'. Scows racing on the lakes in MN sometimes have them. It would seem that they might cut quite a bit into available space below on this boat.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Those look lie bilge boards, you put down the one that is on the side you are healing towards and pull the opposite side up well at least for maximum speed. I've not seen a boat like this. You are calling it a Cherubini 30. John Cherubini was a designer, who manufactured this boat?

Anything you should be looking out for - the list is long. But first thing on my watch-out would be the condition of those decks. Are they screwed down? The boats from 1981 so it's now over 40 years old. I'd be very cautious of water intrusion on the decks.

dj

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
F YI...
I believe that is a British built Hunter. They used the name but not the Cherubini design.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The teak decks are a concern. It looks as though they have been varnished or recently oiled. Either will make the deck slippery. As @dLj mentioned, the method by which the deck is attached is important. If they are screwed down, the deck core likely has water in it. A survey with a moisture meter would only read the moisture in the teak, not the underlying fiberglass core.

If the fins are intended to be bilge boards they might be there to allow the boat to dry out on a low tide. The twin keel design somewhat popular in the UK is specifically for this purpose. Not something particularly useful on the Ottawa River or Lake Ontario.

Look for a HIN on the upper starboard corner of the transom. If it is a US or Canadian built boat it will be there and will identify make, model, and year of completion.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
To my eye, those fins do not look like they would bite the water until your rail is burried. In that case the windward one would be completly out of the water... so why make them retractable? You said the interior was professionally redone.... any chance the fins were an after market mod by a wannabe marine engineer? They don't look practicle to me unless you just like sailing on your side.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
To my eye, those fins do not look like they would bite the water until your rail is burried. In that case the windward one would be completly out of the water... so why make them retractable? You said the interior was professionally redone.... any chance the fins were an after market mod by a wannabe marine engineer? They don't look practicle to me unless you just like sailing on your side.
@rgranger Interesting thought that they may be a mod.

I have to say, I've never seen a boat like this with bilge boards... Sure would be an interior space eater...

I used to race Scows in the midwest, they have bilge boards. Retractable is for speed. Running straight down wind, you pull both up so you have no bilge board wetted surface in the water. On a Scow, you pull up the one side as it will be touching the water unless you are too far healed, but racing you don't do that, you have your heal angles you want to run the boat at for fastest speeds...

dj

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Anything I should be looking out for?

Yep. Old photographs and they look like oldies.

gary

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
What to look for on inspection?
  1. Water in the deck
  2. Rust stains on the deck or rigging
  3. Screws loose or missing on the wood work
  4. Water stains in the interior around ports or thru hulls
  5. Loose rigging
  6. Bilge board function
  7. Engine function
  8. Condition of sails
  9. Gauges and electronics function
  10. Running rigging condition
  11. Rudder and keel soundness
  12. Hull soundness
  13. electrical wiring
  14. Thru hulls corrosion or leaking
  15. Water in the bilge
Are a few of my favorite things.

These are the issues that will cost you money to correct if you purchase the boat.

Boats are made to keep water on the outside. If there are water stains on the inside you know there is a issue.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Not a Cherubini that I have ever seen. Looks like it is newer than 1981 also. The cabin windows on the Cherubinis of that era were smaller opening ports. Looks longer than 30 feet to me.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Log in here. Pretty sure that it is a UK boat. Post those pix. Someone will have the particulars. Looks like a fast boat. Short Fin ballast keel, and bilge boards for upwind work. Oh my!
:)

Jul 20, 2020
Hunter 30 1001 Nyack NY Hudson River
This is what my 1981 Hunter 30 tall rig Cherubini looks like, as far as what to look for? Like mentioned before the list is long. Personally I looked at how the PO cared for and upgraded/repaired while he owned the boat along with documentation he provided.
Resized_20211003_180824.jpeg

Aug 17, 2013
well, it's a good thing I got to go see my dad as the boat is 4 hours away, the only good thing on the boat was the trailer, everything else had to be redone, it was good to see my dad but I was disappointed in the boat, would offer maybe 3000$ because of the trailer but the guy is stuck at 6000$, so I'll keep looking

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
well, it's a good thing I got to go see my dad as the boat is 4 hours away, the only good thing on the boat was the trailer, everything else had to be redone, it was good to see my dad but I was disappointed in the boat, would offer maybe 3000$ because of the trailer but the guy is stuck at 6000$, so I'll keep looking
You're in a good position, you have a nice boat that you have put alot of time, sweat, and money into. No need to rush out to buy another one. Keep on looking.

Did you find out more about the boat's origin? Who really built it and such.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Are the photos that you showed first even recent?

dj

Aug 17, 2013
No they were old pictures, the whole deck needs sealant then a good oiling or varnish, the cabin roof needs fibreglass work done, the rudder is removed, the windows are removed… the interior is home made…

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
No they were old pictures, the whole deck needs sealant then a good oiling or varnish, the cabin roof needs fibreglass work done, the rudder is removed, the windows are removed… the interior is home made…
That was in the ball park of my suspicions. Don't you just hate that? It's like, really? You think I'm not going to notice your pictures and your boat don't match when I actually come to look at it????

dj

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Make sure the Hull ID# on the boat matches the number on the Title for that 81 Cherubini. Other than the Cherubini 44 and Cherubini 48 could not find a 30' boat bearing that name. John Cherubini did design Boats for Hunter in the 70s and 80s and there is a Hunter Cherubini 30 for 1981 but it looks nothing like that boat. John designed a number of models for the Hunter brand. He manufactured some boats under his brand name but they were mostly power boats and larger cruising sailboats.