Leak from my rudder post?

Sep 13, 2021
Irwin Citation 35 Longport
Hello folks...

New to the site and new to sailing a real boat. This summer I purchased a 1987 Irwin Citation 35, and still learning about her, and working through my bugs. On my initial trip home, somewhere between between Block Island and Longport NJ, I observed quite a bit of in-leakage that I needed to keep pumping overboard. In fact, it got so bad I went looking for a hull breach.

I crawled down into the lazarette to investigate under the cockpit when I saw a lot of water running down the inside slope of the stern. In was not a hull breach like I feared, but instead there was a fiberglass drum/cylinder with a finger-wide fitting on the bottom that was constantly pouring out water (see pic). I looked for "missing parts" (i.e. tubes, or plugs) but found nothing. I ended up fastening a strap patch to "fix it". WHAT IS THIS, what's it for, and how do I fix it?

Below is a pic of the source on the water looking from the very back of the stern towards the bow, while underneath the cockpit. I'm guessing it's part of the rudder tube assembly under the quadrant, but have no idea the of the mechanics or why there is a drain?

I appreciate the help?

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
OK Let explore possibilities.

The fitting is into something that is fiberglass. What is the fiberglass structure? Is it the deck? A tank? a water muffler?

Sep 13, 2021
jssailem Thanks for the reply.
That's just it... I don't know what the fiberglass structure is.

It suspends from the cockpit above about where the quadrant would be. However, when I open the quadrant from above, I cannot get to this structure. I was talking to somebody who thought this might be a "hydro lubrication chamber" for the rudder post and the hole was for a "breathing tube"? Both of which I know nothing about.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Do not know about any "hydro lubrication chamber" used on an Irwin 35.

Can you get more images from the side or the front? If there is water coming out, there has to be water going in.

The hole and fitting are too small for cooling water. Was the water salt water or fresh?

Sep 13, 2021
The next time I'm at the boat I'll try to get more pics, but my repair patch will still be on it. The cylinder literally came down from the floor of the cockpit. The water was salt. Does sea water come up through the rudder post? That's what someone was trying to explain to me, but I haven't been able to find anything about that online. I'm also trying to get a manual for the boat, but haven't been unsuccessful.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I have no idea except that the fitting looks like a thru-hull whose nipple end has broken off at that compression nut. If that is so, then there should be a hose with a hose clamp on the end and the end of the nipple in the end of the hose.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have no idea except that the fitting looks like a thru-hull whose nipple end has broken off at that compression nut. If that is so, then there should be a hose with a hose clamp on the end and the end of the nipple in the end of the hose.
I agree, looks like the hose barb broke off (the white part in the photo)…the question is, what is connected to it? And where is the water coming from?

Is there any hose laying in the bottom of the lazzarette (with a piece of white plastic stuck in the end)?

Does it leak when you are not sailing?

Greg