How do I access the underneath the table in the cockpit on Oceanis 400? One of the screws holding the table side up has fallen out!

JamieB

Aug 1, 2021
Beneteau 400 Loano
Hey there,

Thanks in advance for and help and guidance.

One of the little screws that holds up the side of the table in the cockpit has come loose. I'm trying to find how I can access behind it but for the life of me can't find where to access that section of the table.

Any advice on how to get in there would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

J

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
Probably going to have to pull the top portion of the binnacle and go in through there unless the top of that section will come off. Handhold loop says no to that at a quick glance.

JamieB

Aug 1, 2021
Beneteau 400 Loano
Probably going to have to pull the top portion of the binnacle and go in through there unless the top of that section will come off. Handhold loop says no to that at a quick glance.
Yeah I tried that and it's glued with silicone. I can't see any other access panel. I took off the compass and I can't reach through.

Aug 27, 2014
Beneteau 373 San Diego
Would look for an access panel in the roof of the stateroom below that. All of your controls and wires that go to the binnacle have to go down and out somewhere and that somewhere is down below.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
If it's really a screw, just install another screw. If it is a bolt and nut combo, and you can't find access, consider using a toggle bolt. Choose a material that won't affect the compass.

Have you called Beneteau to ask them?

ETA: If you do get access, consider this: It appears that the depth to which the fastener is driven will be important, as the table "leg" is meant to slip over the screw head to stow the table. This means that the fastener will always be subject to rotational forces that would loosen or tighten it, thereby changing the depth the fastener stands out from the surface (and making it easy to eventually lose the fastener). Unless you want to add this item to a pre-startup and/or post-shutdown checklist, you may want to devise a system where the fastener depth can't change with use.

Last edited:

JamieB

Aug 1, 2021
Beneteau 400 Loano
If it's really a screw, just install another screw. If it is a bolt and nut combo, and you can't find access, consider using a toggle bolt. Choose a material that won't affect the compass.

Have you called Beneteau to ask them?

ETA: If you do get access, consider this: It appears that the depth to which the fastener is driven will be important, as the table "leg" is meant to slip over the screw head to stow the table. This means that the fastener will always be subject to rotational forces that would loosen or tighten it, thereby changing the depth the fastener stands out from the surface (and making it easy to eventually lose the fastener). Unless you want to add this item to a pre-startup and/or post-shutdown checklist, you may want to devise a system where the fastener depth can't change with use.
Yeah great suggestion. I think I'll have to find a new system for it. I've tried calling but can't get through. Will keep going though.

Thanks

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
You could always get a piece of teak, or other suitable wood, and epoxy it to the binnacle just beneath the screw. The metal support from the table will then rest against it. Then you do not have to access inside.

To be extra safe, the bottom end of the teak could rest on the cockpit floor.

Aug 27, 2014
Beneteau 373 San Diego
Rather than use teak, use high density polyethylene marine "lumber". You could use 3M 5200 to attach it but if you do it will never come off. Maybe use 4200 instead. Search for marine lumber on West Marine, or go to your local boat carpenter near your marina. He will probably give you some scraps for free that you can use.