Great weekend!

Apr 3, 2020
Hunter 23.5 Frenchtown, MT
We just got back from the lake, and we had a great time up there aside from all the smoke. I got the mast wiring all replaced and installed a windex Friday evening, then we got the new roller furler installed Saturday morning. After a quick lunch we went out sailed for most of the afternoon. For a couple hours we had good 10-12kt winds and had a great time scooting along at 6kts or so. Then on the way back to the marina the winds slacked off and we just slowly drifted back (thankfully downwind). I did figure out that flapping sails are a decent alarm clock. When the wife was napping (her official job on the boat, of course) and I lay down and try to sail just by looking up at the windex I apparently dozed off quickly. All of a sudden the sails were slowly flapping back and forth, I woke up and figured out that we were in irons. :)
Anyhow, nice relaxing sail back to the marina and then elk burgers on the grill for dinner. The guys in the marine invited us out for 'race' this morning, and we decided to try it out. When we got up this morning everyone's boats were covered in a fine layer of ash, so first up for everyone was to hose the boats off. Then we had a quick meeting to discuss the course and headed out. The winds were decent, I'd guess 8-10kts, so good for moving along. We went from just in front of our marina upwind around Melita Island, then over to 'the rock' and then back downwind to cross the line. We had a fleet of 6 boats all told. I made some excellent tactical decisions at the beginning and was able to cross the start line first. We jockeyed for position over most to the course, and ended up crossing the finish line second. I was pretty proud of the wife and I! First time we've ever raced any boat, much less a sail boat. It's just a fun race, so bragging rights only. I did get some ribbing from the guys, and had to admit that I HAVE watched a sailboat race (America's Cup). So they all decided that since my boat is a wing keel then it must mean my boat was foiling. :)

Anyhoo, it was a really fun weekend. I'll post some pics once we get them uploaded.