My Boat Is Held Together By Zip Ties!

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I had to replace the fluxgate compass for my AP. The compass is forward about 25' from the computer. I had to clip about thirty ties to pull the cable. I was guilty for about nine of them. Oh well, they are all nice and new now, and fewer of them. Whew!

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Don, were you a Jarhead?
"Hey marine, this gizmo won't budge. What do I do?"
"Get a bigger hammer"

• Ha
Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Im with @Phil Herring. You can go to Home Depot and get a bag of 25 for some outrageous price or get a bag of 1000 from Digikey for only slightly more.
whats not to love!

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
After my training in the Air Force, I am a stickler for zip ties. Then I was trained by Boeing to maintain the streetcar they built. We even had real zip tie guns! I love to rip into a good old rat's nest of wiring, and make it into neat cable runs with beaucou zip ties.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Changing the impellor last Saturday and started looking around for appropriate zip tie, found I had a pack in every lazzarette, drawer, nav table and tool bag (2) even had a choice of colors .

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
I love zip ties. I won't even hazard a guess about how many I have in service. Harbor freight is a great place to get them.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
For years I had the cockpit table attached to the pedestal guard with Zip ties. What was supposed to be a temporary install until I found the right hardware, it worked so well it became permanent. The first set lasted for about 5 years when one broke and I replaced all of them.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I always find packages of them when I'm looking for tools. But, I can't find a single package when I'm looking for zip ties.
That is me and tape measures... I seem to own about 12 but can't ever find one when I need it.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
If you have them out in the sun, just be sure to use the black ones. They'll last for years but the white ones will give up in a couple months. I only buy the black ones now.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
After my training in the Air Force, I am a stickler for zip ties. Then I was trained by Boeing to maintain the streetcar they built. We even had real zip tie guns! I love to rip into a good old rat's nest of wiring, and make it into neat cable runs with beaucou zip ties.
We were old school in the Marines. Never saw a zip tie. Every wire bundle used lacing cord. It wasn't until I worked for Boeing Military that I used my first zip tie. We used the guns too. They cinched them up snug and clipped off the excess in one motion.
I keep many now on the boat and in the garage. I think I still have a roll of lacing cord.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
In my earliest days of sea experience, it was duct tape, black electrical tape, and bailing wire for temporary fixes and bindings. Now, of course, the zip ties, which are throughout the boat; but I still keep the other three remedies handy;).