Floor flooding.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Why would the galley floor be painted? I would probably walk away of I saw that on a 20 year old boat. (20 is not that old.)

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
My current boat flooded from the AC running and a failed bilge pump.. the PO left the AC on by accident for two weeks while away from the boat and the bilge switch failed. the condensation literally filled up the boat... the water came up to the floorboards.. coincidentally, i did have to replace the oil pan on the motor as it rusted through and began to leak around the oil pump out hose.. however, that kind of rusting is not an immediate process.. it takes time for that and a 1 time event wouldn't do it.

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
That pulley only rusted because there's no paint. And without paint it doesn't need immersion, it would rust just from salt air. So the question is what made the paint fail? Engine paint isn't going to dissolve because it gets dipped in a little salt water. You need something to break the film. Then water can get under it and bubble -- but bubbles don't form straight lines like that.

That straight line suggests a tool hit or that the pulley was in a vice or clamp. Maybe during manufacture. Maybe the clamp contaminated the spot so the paint didn't stick well where it was clamped..

The scum line could also have lots of reasons including just uneven cleaning. Unless the scum line is in many places in the boat at the same level - especially in areas that would not be reached by cleaning I wouldn't worry about it.

As to damage. Good boats aren't built with plywood in the bilge that "wicks" -- especially 20 years ago before cost cutting was so popular. Marine plywood lasts a long time in salt water. That's why it's a good boat hull material. The things that get damaged in minor bilge flooding are wiring connectors (or any split in wire insulation that lets water under the insulation) and threaded fasteners where the water can work its way into the fastener and sit there (like a bolt in an engine). If the scum line is below any engine bolts and wire connections I wouldn't worry.

And it sounds like you are able to talk directly to the owner? So ask him. In my 50 years of sailboat ownerships I've come across very, very few dishonest sailboat owners. I wouldn't lie to your face to sell a boat. Would you? If he doesn't know anything about the scum line it could have happened with a previous owner but in that case you'd think any serious problems would have cropped up by now.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
"Scum line" was so faint that I never even noticed it until surveyor pointed it out to me on my second visit. And strangely, it seems that it was too localized and in just one small place to be a water level indicator. It may have been just an odd circumstance of cleaning. I just looked at a photo of the inside of the engine compartment cover - no sign of a line. Galley floor also had no defects. I didn't notice the painted galley floor, either, until surveyor pointed it out. It actually looked very nice. I could easily assume that the owner just wanted a creamier looking color than the standard coating. We both speculated a moment or two, but could not come to any conclusion that there was anything covered up. That is one of the reasons why I brought it up.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
The fresh water pump to the left of that bottom pulley....... maybe there was a leak throwing off sea water or maybe when changing impeller water splashed. Impeller on those pumps is behind and a pain to get to..... I use to unbolt and was able to twist it just enough to remove.... but it was a bit of a mess.

Good luck!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
The sure way to tell if this particular boat has been subject to some odd condition, like flooding, etc., is to compare it to other examples of the same boat, same vintage. Rusted pulleys? Painted galley floor? Scum line? And so on. For me, the painted floor would be a triple red flag; there's no earthly reason to paint a good galley sole. One that's been damaged, maybe the wood replace, etc. - yes. Take a look at pics of same boats on yachtworld.

BTW, you didn't say the make or year of this?

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
I owned a ‘99 for 12 years and I am very familiar with the boat. A couple of things—early hulls from the mid 90s had shallow bilges. If the bilge wasn’t bone dry any healing could cause water to slosh under floor boards. For specific questions on the boat I would suggest joining the 320 association which is very active and in fact someone on the forum may very well know the very hull you are looking at. As for the galley area, 320s came with ’Loncoin’ flooring at the bottom of the companionway and through the galley. This is a great feature as it kept water from wet sailors from ruining the teak veneer.
hope this helps and good luck...

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Scott I think it is a simple choice. It is a 20 year old boat. If the price is right, the survey is positive, and most importantly you both like the boat, then jump in.
However if your looking for a older boat with no minor or foreseeable problems at a good price then I wish you good luck.
Take my two cents for what it's worth, I tend to jump in to things without thinking things thru. Obviously you do not which is smart.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
As for the galley area, 320s came with ’Loncoin’ flooring at the bottom of the companionway and through the galley.
Could this be what Scott refers to as painted?

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
The teak & holly sole looks new or at least, refinished. Perhaps the owner wanted to “dress it up” a bit if it was worn or perhaps it was flooded and required replacement. I tend to think that Soltice’s post is most likely the case. If you can’t talk to the owner directly, I would have the broker have the owner sign a disclosure that the boat wasnt flooded with penalties if you find out at a later date that it was flooded. If I wasn’t trying to conceal something, I wouldn’t have any issue with a disclosure, if it meant sellingthe boat. After all, a disclosure is standard documentation in real estate transactions.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
do you have-- or can you get -- remote camera pics of the whole underside of the engine and gearbox ? including p shaft coupler?

Aug 14, 2019
Tartan 34c Toms River
The teak & holly sole looks new or at least, refinished. Perhaps the owner wanted to “dress it up” a bit if it was worn or perhaps it was flooded and required replacement. I tend to think that Soltice’s post is most likely the case. If you can’t talk to the owner directly, I would have the broker have the owner sign a disclosure that the boat wasnt flooded with penalties if you find out at a later date that it was flooded. If I wasn’t trying to conceal something, I wouldn’t have any issue with a disclosure, if it meant sellingthe boat. After all, a disclosure is standard documentation in real estate transactions.
That's a good idea, however it's a 20 year old boat and chances are the seller is not the original owner. If I am not the original owner and can't verify the PO's history no way I sign.
By doing that your asking the seller to warranty the boat.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My Yanmar 2GM20F pulley also had some rust on it...I assumed just poor paint job, moist environment, and boom...rust.

I ran the motor and held a folded up piece of sandpaper against the pulley grooves, and all is good. not sure if I should then paint them, but my primary purpose knock the rust off to go a bit easier on the belts and prevent some belt dust.

Sounds like decision time Scott....just do it already!
(just kidding...we’ll sort of)

Greg

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
well i confess that in 1995 i flooded my brand new - to - me 30' seafarer by putting the water tank fill hose into the deck water fill hole and turning on the hose. soon the admiral , belowdecks, stoped the reading of the magazine long enough to yell 'STOP what you're doing you are causing a flood in here .' since it was our very 1st week end on our very new -to -us boat, i did not realize the seller had never connected any water hose from the brand new deck fill plate to the water tank. so all 30 or so gallons i put in to the deck fill were flowing secretly down the inside of the hull, into the bilge, out of the bilge, onto the floor an inch deep. all over the lower edges of the plywood/teak veneer panels, bunks, galley cabinets... WE ran the bilge pumps, shop vacc'd it ,mopped, ran fans.. we had no delamination of any wood or fake veneer/plywood, and no visible damage after it dried out. it was, however, not the most elegant way to spend Our First Weekend On The Boat. (As i have often been reminded , through the years, by the comment are you SURE you know what you're doing???.)