Automatic Float switch wiring Hunter 29.5

jcela

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 29.5 Kemah
I will greatly appreciate the opinion of our experts in our group about wiring a float switch to improve durability.
The most unreliable part in my boat is the RULE automatic float switch for the bilge pump. During the last 18 years I have replaced my floats many times and I have always the concern that during winter water will accumulate and the pump will fail to work. My boat is very dry but nevertheless the bilge pump should always be ready to work to ensure that any water coming during a storm or while sailing will be removed. This time I was determined to find out why the RULE switch does not last, so I open the old switch and I encountered that the switch is poorly made. The switch works by a thin SS plate mounted on the float that acts on a flat section of the small shaft driving the switch on and off. The problem is that the system is always submerged in salt water and the galvanic corrosion soon wears a groove in the small shaft, after that the thin driven plate would not turn the small shaft.
I also discovered that on my boat the switch is connected to the negative side of the battery while every wiring diagram in the web calls for the float switch to be connected to the positive side of the battery. My question is: does any one has a wiring from Hunter showing the polarity of the automatic float? Is it connected to the negative? or to the positive?
The $47 RULE switch is poorly made and could easily be improved if the 2 important parts would be made out of plastic or Teflon and it would be indestructible and much more reliable.
Would the switch connected to the positive side of the battery would minimize the corrosion effect? or would it be the same?
Because mine is connected to the negative, my thought was that a submerged switch connected to the positive could discharge the battery overtime since the switch is located near the SS plates of the keel that is grounded.
I thank you in advance for your comments.
Jorge
Nautica
Kemah, Texas

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Rule float switches are a POS. Attwoods aren't much better.

The best switch is the Ultra Bilge Pumpswitch. Pricey, but they last and don't jam.

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
Have a look at Sure Bail switches. Mercury switching float.No contact surfaces in water.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
My Rule float switch has been used and abused for well over a decade and never had a problem. It's even been frozen in the bilge over the winter on multiple occasions and never missed a beat. I really don't know why it has a bad rap. I'm not sure I would trust a pump that thinks it's kute with the letter "K" ;)

Mine is wired on the positive side with an in-line fuse. I don't know why it would be wired to the negative side - but maybe it was for convenience of some kind. There's no polarity as far as I can tell. It's either open or closed. The current is the same either way.

jcela

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 29.5 Kemah
To All
Thank you for your replies, I'll go with a $163 mini Pumpswitch next time and see if I can eliminate today's uncertainty, at least with the operation of the bilge pump.
I check again the wiring and discovered that one connection have come loose and that explain why I was under the impression that was hook to the negative, because I was checking the loose wire and sensing the negative return from the pump. Confirming the float is hookup to the positive side. Thank you.
Happy sailing.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Try adding a 2nd switch 4 inches above the bilge water level to also make the circuit which never gets wet unless the first switch fails. Should only need testing twice a year and last a lifetime unless there's a big leak. mellow