Paint Color Preferences?

Jun 1, 2019
Oday 30 Saugatuck
Hey Gang:

Who feels like settling an argument with my wife and I? I know, tough task.

It’s time to repaint our 1980 Oday 30. We both agree that we will go with a navy hull. But it’s not that simple. What about the water line and the below the water?

My wife thinks that the keel and below the water should be navy along with the hull above the water, with maybe a thin red waterline. What? I’ve never seen a sailboat where the keel and bottom match the hull above the water.

my vote is to have a navy hull above water, a thin white line for the water line, then maybe a red below the water to the keel.

Other than personal preference, am I wrong to want a different color below the water line? Thoughts?

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Navy hull, red boot stripe, white bottom at least between the boot stripe and the waterline. My vote, but even in my house I don’t get to vote on colors.. learned that a long time ago.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
White bottom paint looks great when the boat is splashed, a few weeks later when the crud starts to grow they look horrible. Dark colors do a better job hiding the crud. If 2 coats of paint are going one, white is a good base coat. When you see white, it will be time to repaint.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I'm in the, go with your wife camp.
I try not get to attached to little things like that and let others, who really have feelings about them, have their say.
Also, I like the distinctive clean look your wife's design proposes. I might change it to a white boot stripe, though.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
So your looking for votes.

pictures help

8592D0CD-C92F-4A87-B697-5DC28871C0FF.jpeg 89E2253C-41D1-47C3-8861-CA0685A668AF.jpeg

There is a reason many of us refer to our significant partner as the Admiral. These are decisions that are tough to resolve.
I lean to the blue, white, red bottom a classic look. But it may also be the photo.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Blue hulls look stunning. Dark colored hulls can be hotter and will show scratches more than white colored hulls.

Oct 22, 2014
will show scratches more than white colored hulls.
I am guessing that this is worse when the hull beneath the paint is white.

Nothing brings tears to a boaters eyes quicker than a docking maneuver crash shortly after the splash with a newly completed paint job.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I am guessing that this is worse when the hull beneath the paint is white.

Nothing brings tears to a boaters eyes quicker than a docking maneuver crash shortly after the splash with a newly completed paint job.
:yikes:

Aug 19, 2019
C&C 25 mk2 Seneca Lake
I agree with a darker bottom color. I have a navy blue topside, red waterline stripe and VC-17 bottom paint (color: original). White shows a lot of muck and staining from what I see with others where I splash and sail. Of course, that is how she was when i acquired her a few years back and I haven't the initiative or the $$$ to make a change. On the other hand, when it comes to disagreements with the "Admiral", I always try to keep in mind that every hill isn't worth fighting for (apologies for the mixed metaphors).

Last edited:

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
As others have said, dark colors on the bottom hide growth. That means you won’t see the growth until it is too late and has become a real beard. This will not only slow you down. It will make the bottom look green (not blue) with white spots where the barnacles are. It will also make the boat look like a derelict. That is probably not the effect you seek. If the topsides are blue, the waterline red, the bottom should probably be white. Unless your water is exceptionally clear, the bottom won’t be visible at the mooring, so she won’t see it much anyway. There are also reports that whales are attracted to boats with blue underwater sections for scratching their backs, since they resemble other whales and it’s hard for them to see the difference between blue and whale-black underwater. White underwater looks more like it might be an Orca, so other whales would tend to avoid white-bottomed boats.

Oct 22, 2014
Oh @PaulK Now you have really messed the poor guy up. He’s dealing with a paint color issue and now he needs to worry about whales using the bottom of his boat as a scratching post.... :laugh:

On the other hand, he might just get lucky and be able to record the first whale sighting in Lake Michigan. Now that would be a great reason to paint your boat a “Whale Attracting Color”:laugh:

sgiarc

Feb 12, 2019
beneteau 461 port colborne
Navy Hull. Nice big white boot stripe. Lighter blue bottom paint is what I have and I love it.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
There are also reports that whales are attracted to boats with blue underwater sections for scratching their backs, since they resemble other whales and it’s hard for them to see the difference between blue and whale-black underwater.
Ha! Don't believe it. Animals know each other.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
After writing about whales, I rememberd this event that happened near Capetown South Africa...

674316D6-AFA6-43D4-931B-8E3156FE2962.jpeg

And this boat is dark blue and a dark colored bottom paint... but it looks "red". Maybe that excited the whale, like a bull and a cape. @PaulK might have a good point.

Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
My wife thinks that the keel and below the water should be navy along with the hull above the water, with maybe a thin red waterline. What? I’ve never seen a sailboat where the keel and bottom match the hull above the water.

my vote is to have a navy hull above water, a thin white line for the water line, then maybe a red below the water to the keel.

Other than personal preference, am I wrong to want a different color below the water line? Thoughts?
[/QUOTE]
To maintain the peace and domestic tranquility, Listen to the admiral. You can easily repaint the bottom when she changes her mind

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I thought the photo with navy blue hull and black bottom looked great. That sounds like something your wife could buy into as well. Whales becoming enraged by red hulls has me a little spooked right now!