Karver winch ?

Jan 20, 2018
2014 West Wight Potter 19 19 Graet Sacandaga Lake NY
Hi everyone.
Any of you have experience with"KARVER" winches ? How reliable they are and if they up to manufacturer statements? I'm looking for replacement my Harken regular winch for mainsail on the Leisure in Boom Furling system. The specific Karver winch KPW model ( Karver description) states that "KPW is so powerful (4 speeds} that it becomes a REAL alternative to electric winches.
Any insights, opinions based on experience will be appreciate it.
Thank you all.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Oh, I don't know.......between a finger tip (hard to lose) and cranking (sounds too much like work to me) the winch with a handle that is prone to disappearing or going swimming. lol Never mind sitting on my lazy as* out of the weather while trimming the jib with a finger tip. 2 X lol

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
No experience with Karver products. They are located in France, certainly a sailing focused center.

Not sure why you need a 4 speed winch on a "WightPotter 19" to handle a boom furler.

Jan 20, 2018
2014 West Wight Potter 19 19 Graet Sacandaga Lake NY
Yhank you
White Potter sold in 2018 and I purchased Niagara 35. Why Carver 4 speed.( 2 speed identical to other winches plus 2 extra speed extremely powerful ...3 times than any other winch.also means 3 times less effort to pull a similar load. Maybe it is alternative to electric winch.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Yhank you
White Potter sold in 2018 and I purchased Niagara 35. Why Carver 4 speed.( 2 speed identical to other winches plus 2 extra speed extremely powerful ...3 times than any other winch.also means 3 times less effort to pull a similar load. Maybe it is alternative to electric winch.
If you have had any experience with block and tackle rigs of various purchases or derailleur gearing on bikes, you might remember that half the work is twice the time. Not a fair trade IMO when trying to crank in a flogging sail in 40+ knots of wind.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Pricey.…. but hey, it's your money. I get it for high performance racing yachts... a Pogo, for instance, but I'd rather have a traditional 2 speed and a new sail.

Jan 12, 2020
Hinterhoeller Niagara 35 Branford CT
Thank you guys.
No experience with block&tackle rigs. Just want to help myself to rise mainsail on my Niagara 35 . Boat has Forespar Leisure in Boom furling system and you have to apply some tension to halyard to properly unwind the sail and this is mean a quiet effort for a "little older " sailor. All this systems are supplied now with electric winch. At first I was looking for electric winch Harken or Lewmar until I came across Karver (to avoid all wiring and power hungry winch). Yes Capta i thought about( I'm biker when not on the boat). Yes it is Pricey , costs the same or little less than traditional electric winch plus less of installation hassle. I didn't completely decide yet.
Thanks again.

Dec 23, 2016
Catalina 27 Clinton CT
Good product. Those are the old Pontos winches before they were bought out. The distributor in North America ran out of funding

Jan 12, 2020
Hinterhoeller Niagara 35 Branford CT
Thanks Dave
Just what I think after reading and my online research. Defender Marine selling them.